Senior Legislative Strategist
As directed by the Director, State Policy, execute state level policy campaigns in assigned target states. Build Prison Fellowship’s influence among state policymakers and coalition partners. Assist in recruiting and engaging grassroots and grasstops in assigned target states. The region would be a combination of up to six states.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent Prison Fellowship as a leading voice for adult and juvenile criminal justice reform efforts in assigned target states by lobbying policy makers, engaging in state-based coalitions and partners, and building relationships with grasstops. Assist in recruiting and maintaining relationships with the Faith & Justice Fellowship members in target states. Target states will include Virginia and 4-6 additional states of different tiers based on annual state policy agenda.
- Develop policy materials for target states including one-pagers for policymakers and grassroots, testimony, talking points, website content, model legislation and model constituent emails. Assist with state-based media efforts and recruiting storytellers.
- Assist with recruiting and mobilizing grassroots support for both state and federal agenda in collaboration with the Grassroots Strategists. Assist with grassroot and grasstop event planning and execution. Coordinate with the different divisions of Prison Fellowship to leverage ministry assets to support advocacy initiatives, particularly field staff and prison ministry volunteers within assigned target states.
- Advance Prison Fellowship’s national initiatives to relevant contacts in target states including the Faith & Justice Fellowship, Second Chance Month, Outrageous Justice, and the Justice Declaration.
- In coordination with the Advocacy Operations Manager and at the direction of the Director, State Policy, facilitate and track recruitment to the Faith & Justice Fellowship in all states and coordinate calls, events, and prison visits with the members.
- Represent Prison Fellowship and give presentations at conferences and other events. Provide grassroots trainings and coordinate volunteer or grasstops lobby days as needed.
Minimum years of relevant experience: Minimum of five years in public policy or practitioner in the political or justice system; experience with state politics and public policy preferred with the state legislature in one or more of the following jurisdictions: WI, MI, CO, TN, AR, MS, LA, FL. Experience required in coalition building, interacting with the legislative process, mobilizing the faith community, and demonstrated ability to interact with government leaders and communicate effectively with executive level decision makers internally and externally. Experience working with the state legislature, think tank or public policy organization preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree in public policy or juris doctorate degree preferred.
Knowledge areas: Public policy, politics, legislative process, criminal justice, juvenile justice, research and technical writing, coalition building, grassroots, and marketing. Experience is preferred in one or more of the following jurisdictions: WI, MI, CO, TN, AR, MS, LA, FL.
Computer/Technology Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), proficiency in legislative research and social network platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
Communication Skills: Familiarity with new media and ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
Percentage of travel required: Up to 50%.
Other Skills: Experience in organizing legislative campaigns, coalition building, and mobilizing grassroots. Ability to draft policy one-pagers, model legislation, testimony, and model constituent emails. Sound judgement and analytical skills. Ability to build rapport with a variety of people and work on multiple projects simultaneously. Politically savvy.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Satisfactory criminal background check (all positions).
Christian Faith consistent with PF Statement of Faith