Information Technology Specialist (Applications Software) (APPSW)
Occasional travel - Some work may require walking and standing in conjunction with travel and to attendance at meetings and conferences away from the work site.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all legal and regulatory requirements. Reference the "Required Documents" section for additional requirements.
Candidates must demonstrate proof of meeting the Minimum Qualifications, that is, BOTH the Basic Requirements and the Specialized Experience listed below.
Education - Undergraduate or Graduate Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management OR one of the aforementioned degrees which provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Experience - IT-related experience; experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate. Experience must have demonstrated each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent in scope and responsibility to at least the next lower grade level (GS-12) in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the public or private sector. Specialized experience is defined as ALL of the following:
1. Extensive experience developing applications using Java, JEE (Enterprise Edition). Examples of experience indicators at this level include the following: developing, implementing, and supporting secure multi-user web-based applications using Java technology; integration of user roles to control data access; OR, application performance tuning to ensure highly responsive applications.
2. Demonstrated experience using Spring, MVC, JSF, or Struts frameworks.
3. Demonstrated experience writing complex SQL with relational databases, preferably Oracle databases. Examples of experience indicators at this level include the following: developing stored procedures; developing optimized queries for quick data retrieval for large datasets; OR, combining and updating data across multiple tables while still maintaining quick application responsiveness.
NOTE: Additional experience with Agile software development, project management, continuous integration and automated build software as well as test automation frameworks is preferred, but not required.
If qualifying (in part) based upon Education, you must submit all applicable Unofficial academic transcripts demonstrating that you meet the educational requirements listed in this announcement; see the Requirements section, i.e. under Qualifications, for more details. College Transcript and Evaluation of Foreign Education - The Department of Labor does not recognize academic degrees from unauthorized secondary schools or post-secondary institutions that are not accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the Department of Education. Any applicant falsely claiming an academic degree from an accredited school will be subject to actions ranging from disqualification from federal employment to removal from federal service. If your education was completed at a foreign college or university, you must show comparability to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States and comparability to applicable minimum course work requirements for this position. Click Evaluation of Foreign Education for more information.
DOL seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees’ differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.
Refer to these links for more information: GENERAL INFORMATION, ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION, FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be evaluated against the evaluation factors below and will be placed into a category based on your vacancy question responses.
Category A - Meets the minimum qualifications requirements and demonstrates superior proficiency in applying critical competencies required by this position.
Category B - Meets the minimum qualifications requirements and demonstrates satisfactory proficiency in applying critical competencies required by this position.
Category C - Meets the minimum qualifications requirements and demonstrates familiarity in applying critical competencies required by this position.
Evaluation Factors (Competencies) - All qualified applicants will be evaluated on the following key competencies:
- Policy and Planning
- Systems Analysis
- Applications Software
- Data Management
The information you provide may be verified by a review of your work experience and/or education, by checking references and through other means (ex. interview). The examining Human Resources Office (HRO) makes the final determination concerning applicant ratings. Your resume MUST provide sufficient information to substantiate your responses to the vacancy questions. If not, the HRO may amend your responses to more accurately reflect the level of competency indicated by the content of your resume. Your evaluation may also include a review by a Human Resources Specialist or panel and may include other assessments (ex. interview, panel review, written test, writing sample, etc.)
INFORMATION FOR ICTAP/CTAP ELIGIBLES ONLY: If you are eligible for special priority selection under ICTAP/CTAP, you must be well-qualified for the position to receive consideration. ICTAP/CTAP eligibles who are placed into Category B or higher will be considered "well-qualified".
Click Application of Veterans Preference for Category Rating Jobs for more information.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required No