IT Specialist INFOSEC
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must also have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the following four competencies for this position:
- Attention to Detail - Performs analysis of systems and reviews processes for improvement or new proposed systems
- Customer Service - Work with internal and/or external clients to ensure proper operation of IT systems
- Oral Communication - Expresses information that can be technical in nature to leadership or staff to ensure proper IT operations
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems and determines appropriate system changes, upgrades or design to ensure proper function.
In addition, to meeting the above Basic Qualification, to qualify for the Information Technology position (Starting Salary $96,970) at the GS-13 level you must:
Possess one year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-12 level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors) performing the following duties:
1) Assisting in developing and coordinating of IT project management to include contractor performance and to develop Statements of Work (SOW);
2) Supporting the translating of architecture and typology of software, hardware, and networks, including LANS, WANS, and telecommunications systems, their components and associated protocols and standards;
3) Contributing to the analysis of design constraints to identify necessary lifecycle support;
4) Providing limited recommendations regarding cyber security solutions or products for compliance and use within a system; and
5) Consulting with customers to assist with the evaluation of functional requirements and define project scope and objectives based on those customer requirements.
In addition, to meeting the above Basic Qualification, to qualify for the Information Technology position (Starting Salary $114,590) at the GS-14 level you must:
Possess one year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-13 level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors) performing the following duties:
1) Managing and providing oversight of the methods or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating projects and resources, including monitoring and inspecting costs;
2) Conducting overseer review and providing recommendations on various types of contracts, techniques for contracting or procurement, and contract negotiation and administration;
3) Planning, developing, analyzing and implementing security designs for new or existing systems;
4) Translating architecture and typology of software, hardware, and networks, including LANS, WANS, and telecommunications systems, their components and associated protocols and standards, and how they operate and integrate with one another and with associated controlling software; and
5) Managing the development of information security plans, to prevent information systems vulnerabilities, and provide or restore security of information systems and network services.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Current or Former Political Appointees: The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Qualifications Must Be Met
The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Education cannot be used to qualify for this position. Thus, submission of a transcript is not requested or required.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select Benefits. Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
Appointments are subject to the availability of funds.
This position has been designated exempt from bargaining unit representation under the national security provision of 5 USC Section 7112(B)(6).
All employees are required to participate in Direct Deposit/ Electronic Funds Transfer for salary payments.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Other Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application status as well as verify the documentation submitted with your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Under the provisions of the Direct-Hire Authority, veterans' preference does not apply.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will use a job questionnaire to further evaluate your experience, education, and training. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Cybersecurity Information Technology/Systems Engineering
- Cybersecurity Principles
- Cybersecurity Project Management
If you are determined qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. Preview the Assessment Questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10346739.
Interagency/Career Transition Assistance Program (I/CTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not I/CTAP eligible. View information about I/CTAP eligibility on OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under I/CTAP, you must be rated at a minimum score of 85 for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Interview Requirement: Interviews may be required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration. The interview process may consist of a in-person or phone panel interview. Read more Security clearance Top Secret/SCI Drug test required Yes