IT Specialist (APPSW), GG-2210-14, Census-DE-TW
Occasional travel - Travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This vacancy is advertised under 2 different announcements. Reas the 'Clarification from the Agency' section carefully to determine your eligibility. If you are not eligible under this announcement, please see ADDC-2019-0027, IT Specialist (APPSW), GG-2210-14, CENSUS-DOC-TW.
Current Career/Career Conditional U.S. Census Bureau Employee: This is a competitive temporary promotion opportunity not to exceed 1 year or 09/26/2020, whichever comes first with the possibility for extension at management's discretion.
Non-Current Career/Career Conditional U.S. Census Bureau Employee: This position will be filled as a Temporary Appointment not to exceed 1 year or 09/26/2020, whichever comes first with the possibility for extension at management's discretion.
A trial period may be required.
This position is ELIGIBLE for telework; additional criteria will be required (e.g., supervisory approval).
This is a NON-BARGAINING unit position.
Relocation expenses may not be paid.
This is an open continuous announcement. The initial cutoff date for referral is December 6, 2018. After this date additional referral lists will be created as vacancies are available. This announcement covers multiple positions within the various Directorates of the U.S. Census Bureau through June 28, 2019.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
For the GG-14, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GG-13 level. Examples of specialized experience include leading project teams in advanced systems software/hardware project efforts; functioning as a technical authority in all assignments; planning and designing systems architecture; assuring software and systems functionality and quality; ensuring extensive application of security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices to the delivery of application software services; and applying project management principles to large-scale, complex projects.
Your resume must include how you meet the specialized experience and IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies described below.
1. Attention to Detail - Meticulous; thoroughly reviews and proofreads various IT related data/information; dedicates focus to accomplish tasks that are complete, precise, and accurate to a given IT situation.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive IT services or IT products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess IT needs, provide expert technical information or assistance, resolve fairly complex or non-routine problems, or satisfy expectations; knowledge of available products and services; committed to providing quality IT products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses technical information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, recognizes potential miscommunication, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies IT related problems using a variety of materials or sources; gathers and applies technical information to determine accuracy and relevance to moderately complex problems; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives; makes decisions or recommendations that influence IT policies or programs and applies new developments to previously unresolved problems
Education cannot be substituted at this grade level.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are "gold," "silver," and "bronze." Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the "gold" category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans' preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed.
Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold).
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Ability to lead a multifunctional development project in software analysis, design, development and implementation for a new system or major enhancement to an existing system.
- Ability to supervise, assign work, set priorities, evaluate performance, and provide advice and instructions, Ability to lead a team to meet organizational/customer needs.
- Skill conducting a variety of IT studies, audits, reviews, risks assessments, and contingency planning for computer systems.
- Knowledge of data security and stewardship.
- Ability to communicate in person and in writing.
For more information on category rating, please go to:
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No