Special Police Captain
- High school diploma or equivalency certification (GED)
- Eight (8) years of experience working in administrative, technical and supervisory security operations.
- Must obtain a Security Officer Commission within 12 months from the hire date and maintain it throughout employment in this job.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license issued by the jurisdiction of their residence during their employment with WMATA.
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or security management
- Completion of a law enforcement academy or a vocational security management program
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.Job Summary
The Special Police Captain provides oversight and command of the personnel assigned to the WMATA Special Police Unit of the Metro Transit Police which is responsible for the protection and welfare of WMATA employees and property. The employee also assists the Manager of Security and Infrastructure Protection with planning, implementation and oversight of infrastructure security initiatives, threat and vulnerability assessments and security certification processes.
- Provides overall supervision of the Special Police Unit. Coordinates daily operations, reviews schedules, inspects post, coaches and mentors subordinates, assist in the union grievance process, reviews and revises general and post orders.
- Oversees administrative investigations, provides feedback and recommendations for disciplinary matters. Reviews the facts and recommendation of the investigating supervisors and determines whether the facts support the recommendation or not. Administers appropriate discipline in compliance with WMATA rules, regulations and applicable collective bargaining agreements.
- Reviews grievances and works with WMATA management and the Office of Labor Relations (LABR) to resolve them.
- Proposes and implements new or revised Standard Operating Procedures.
- Identifies security vulnerabilities at WMATA facilities and recommends strategies for mitigating risk. Participates in threat and vulnerability assessments, site assessments and lighting surveys. Conducts research and reviews of MTPD security related items such as physical security up grades, video surveillance, lighting, and fencing. Assists with the Planning and implementation of security improvements and upgrades to physical security equipment and manpower needs.
- Represents the office of security and infrastructure protection at meetings in support of Joint Development Council (JDAC) projects, Safety and Security Certification Programs, Safety and Security committee meetings, infrastructure renewal program and other meetings that relate to security at current and future WMATA sites
- Works varied schedule, and this may include nights, holidays and weekends,
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report