Therapeutic Recreation Specialist/Park Recreation Specialist IV
7 days left
- Full Time
Performs highly skilled work with individuals with disabilities and at-risk youth. Oversees the daily operations of the Therapeutic Recreation (TR) Business Area. Directs and guides the work of the full-time employees and exempt-limited term staff in the provision of the therapeutic recreation services. Directs and monitors the planning, coordination, administration, safety and evaluation of all TR countywide programs. Coaches, trains and supervises merit staff and completes performance reviews. Authorizes staff hours and coordinates work schedules. Coordinates facility scheduling and transportation. Oversees the development and implementation of community outreach plans to target gaps in service, to increase overall participation in programs, and to ensure the resolution of community concerns and customer complaints. Participates in the development of short- and long-term goals, operating objectives, strategies and implementation plans, and submits recommendations for improved service delivery. Identifies and establishes collaborative partnerships with community based organizations, schools, other county agencies, businesses and non-profits to develop programs that support agency and county initiatives. Assumes supervisor on-duty responsibilities for handling weekend and evening program problems. Prepares, reviews, and evaluates financial, program and administrative reports to analyze current practices and trends. Monitors the program statistics, measures and best practices to ensure programs continue to meet community and participant needs. Aligns business area work with agency mission and vision, as well as the county focus areas and goals. Oversees implementation of business area and agency policy and operational procedures. Monitors best practices and quality assurance standards for the business area. Serves as the agency's Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) representative. Works with the Therapeutic Recreation Advisory Council. Performs other work as assigned.Employment Standards MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in recreation and park management, therapeutic recreation, business administration/management, public administration, or a closely related field; plus four years of progressively responsible experience in park management or multi-faceted recreation center management providing a variety of recreation programs in the area of assignment; two years of the required experience must have included supervisory duties.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- First Aid certification with in 90 days of appointment;
- CPR certification within 90 days of appointment;
- AED certification within 90 days of appointment;
- Certification with the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation (NCTRC) as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) must be obtained within one year of appointment;
- A valid driving record check and eligibility to drive participants in a county vehicle is required at time of hire.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background investigation, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, and a driver's license check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- A bachelor's degree in recreation or therapeutic recreation is highly preferred.
- Experience working with therapeutic recreation programs for individuals with disabilities; and making oral presentations to groups.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of benefit-based recreation and/or therapeutic recreation; safety and prevention procedures; the risk factors associated with individuals with disabilities.
- Ability to develop activity and service strategies to achieve desired community outcomes; develop community partnerships and collaborations; communicate effectively; and supervise and coach employees.
- Certification by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialist.
Work is generally sedentary. Work requires the ability to operate keyboard driven equipment. Duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.