Technical Community Manager
The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for a Technical Community Manager charged with working directly with scientific professional society members and internal staff to manage member volunteer technical groups. These groups are organized according to scientific interest. The key role will be managing engagement and interactivity as well as fostering community spirit among group members. Manager will ensure communication and program development objectives are achieved, tasks are efficiently executed, and member engagement is high. The ability to organize and promote communication through social media, events and activities is vital. Plan and implement special events for group members at society and/or non-society meetings. Serve as the liaison to the volunteer leadership and society board level committees. Interact regularly with executives, directors and managers, and frequent contact with members and meeting organizers. Working knowledge of IT, social media, and social networking across the internet are key to this position.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (not in priority order):
- Manage a volunteer leadership structure and build an active leader network
- Works with Technical Group leadership on developing and implementing strategies focused on outreach and engagement of technical group members utilizing both in person and online community building events and tools.
- Implement the strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across OSA to ensure its effectiveness and providing superior quality of customer service and support to our tech group communities utilizing various communication tools.
- Develop and implement programs for community, including orientation meetings, updating governance documents, and maintaining a consolidated list of activities to generate ideas for future programs.
- Serve as staff member responsible for the outreach, promotion and communication to OSA members of respective Technical Group activities.
- Work with the OSA’s IT and Marketing/Communications department to ensure the online community platform (forums, blogs, moderation tools) are kept up to date and functional, as well as influence the selection and use of various communication tools by collating user feedback
- Generate compelling editorial content from members and manage a schedule of regular communications to engage with, and lead members to contributing their own high quality submissions across the entire suite of tools available
- Moderate all member generated content according to the OSA policy, liaising with legal where required
- Utilize social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, and other similar social media outposts
- Act as an advocate of OSA and as the advocate of the technical groups engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate
- Monitor effective benchmarks for measuring the growth of the technical groups, and analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of new initiatives
- Regularly report insights gained from community monitoring to the Marketing, Membership, Meetings and Publications departments, to help them evolve their strategies in a timely fashion
- Develop annual report to Board of Meetings on community activities, key metrics and future goals and objectives.
- Monitor trends in online community tools and applications
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Four-year college degree required; BS in Marketing preferred.
- Two years of program management experience required; association membership experience preferred.
- Three years of customer service-oriented experience required; association membership experience preferred.
- Previous training in marketing, project management and business writing preferred.
- Previous job experience utilizing multiple social media channels.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with effectively with both scientific minded volunteers and members
- Ability to organize and promote communication through social media, events and activities
- Superior analytical abilities
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines, coordinate details, and work independently required
- Excellent ability to establish and build relationships
- Ability to travel (about 1-2 trips per year)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and database applications
- Proficiency in multiple social media channels
OSA offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.