Media Relations Associate
At The Conservation Fund, we make conservation work for America. By creating solutions that make environmental and economic sense, we are redefining conservation to demonstrate its central role in our future prosperity. Top-ranked for efficiency and effectiveness, we have worked in all 50 states since 1985 to protect more than 8 million acres of land.
The Media Relations Associate is responsible for supporting The Conservation Fund’s news media strategy and outreach efforts to elevate its unique approach to redefining conservation. The position will also write compelling digital and print content that highlights the Fund’s dual mission of providing environmental and economic solutions. He/she will report to the Media Relations Director and will play an integral role in supporting a talented seven-member Marketing & Communications team. An ideal candidate will demonstrate excellence in written and oral communications, providing inspired storytelling, coordination for announcements, and creative media placements.
- Creates engaging external media and marketing content, including writing press releases, newsletters, media advisories, pitches and online storytelling that demonstrate how the Fund is making conservation work for America
- Work collaboratively with the Media Relations Director and MarCom team on priority communications efforts demonstrating the Fund's dual mission of environmental health and economic vitality that will resonate with funders, partners and the public
- Monitors, tracks and communicates daily media coverage of the Fund’s programs and projects
- Seeks opportunities to engage and build relationships with news reporters to increase brand awareness
- Coordinates professionally and respectfully with staff, as well as federal, state, local and private partners on suitable joint media tactics to achieve multiple goals
- Assists in the creation of social media content to highlight projects, partnerships, and news
- A Bachelor's degree with major coursework in public relations, journalism, marketing, communications or related field required and a minimum of 2-4 years of experience working in media relations; OR 6 years of work experience in media relations will be considered in lieu of education requirements
- Exceptional writing skills with demonstrated mastery crafting thought-provoking news releases, pitches and newsletter content while maintaining technical precision using AP style
- Excellent verbal communications skills
- High degree of organizational skills, with ability to multi-task balancing shifting priorities
- Demonstrated experience using social media to promote news
- Experience working with issues of conservation or related topics is a plus
- Experience crafting compelling core messages around a project or campaign is a plus
- Creative, organized, strategic & highly motivated
- Collaborative spirit and ability to work in team settings across cultures and internally within a diverse institution
- A sense of humor and ability to have fun as an active participant in (and contributor to) a highly entrepreneurial and collegial organizational culture
This position is located Nationwide, however preference will be considered for candidates in the Washington D.C. area, where the Fund’s headquarters is located.
Travel requirements for this position will constitute about 10-15% of the Associate’s time.
In addition to cover letter and resume, please submit two relevant writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information, please visit our website at www.conservationfund.org.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits including medical/dental insurance, paid vacation/sick/holidays, parental leave and a 403(b) plan.
The Conservation Fund, a Non Profit Corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression and prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or practice in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.