Director of Surgical Informatics
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Experience in the field of medical/surgical informatics, including experience with Cerner's health information and EHR technologies and VA's electronic health record/VistA Surgery Package.
- Familiarity with issues related to the management of healthcare (specifically surgery) , the existing clinical information systems and clinical practice within VHA.
- Ability to recognize the different functions of various employees and groups in the VHA health care delivery system and communicate effectively with each.
- Ability to provide VHA surgical process workflow subject matter expertise in the software development life cycle representing or involving health care system end users throughout.
- Familiarity of theoretical foundations of computer science; specialized knowledge of design characteristics, limitations, and potential applications of information systems; and knowledge of relevant mathematical and statistical sciences.
- Comprehensive, expert, and practical knowledge of clinical informatics and health care IT.
- Understanding of principles of Workforce Development.
- Comprehensive mastery of knowledge regarding surgical care and biomedicine.
- Mastery of knowledge regarding the health care environment, including how business processes influence health care delivery and the flow of data among the major domains of the health system.
- Expert knowledge of how information systems and processes enhance or compromise the decision making and actions of health care team members.
- Knowledge of re-engineering health care processes.
- Familiarity with fundamental information system concepts including the life cycle of information systems, the constantly evolving capabilities of information technology and health care and the technical and non-technical issues surrounding system implementation.
- Expert knowledge of how clinical information systems impact users and patients, how to support clinician users, and how to promote clinician adoption of systems.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate information systems to provide feedback for system improvement.
- Skills to lead organizational change, fostering collaboration, communicating effectively, and managing large scale projects related to clinical information systems.
- Ability to understand and bridge information technology and clinical health care worlds.
- Superior oral and written communication skills to present information to influence and implement strategies and deliverables as well as assimilate relevant information related to the Health Informatics Initiative and health management platform.
- Ability to participate and consult in the development, implementation, evaluation, and management of information technology solutions and advancement of emerging information technologies to improve patient care and the health care delivery process.
- Utilize knowledge and expertise in clinical care, health systems and informatics to collaborate with the NSO stakeholders and other Applied Informatics Management (AIM) to analyze, document and assess the VHA's health care related IT and IS needs. The emphasis will be on the clinically/surgically related information and knowledge needs of the VHA's health care providers and patients and the impacts of these needs on the VHA's IT and IS systems and related processes to ensure that business requirements are not formalized until full consideration of the impact of the IT and IS needs/requirements to VHA clinical workflows and processes is completed.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.