ZONING PLAN REVIEWER
Join our team and play an important role in the planning and development process for Arlington County. This is a critical technical and administrative position related to the review of building permit plans for Site plan projects and by-right residential and commercial developments.
The candidate in this position will be responsible for reviewing building permit plans, and verifying compliance with special conditions. The position will also coordinate with the Inspection Services Division as well as other County agencies to ensure that all information necessary for review has been supplied and shared with all reviewing and approval agencies.
The selected candidate will provide advice and respond to inquiries about pending building permits, site plans, variances, use permits, re-zonings, certificates of occupancy, and sign permits from prospective applicants and interested citizens requesting this information.
Specific duties include:
- Reviewing and giving approval for building permits associated with simple and complex by-right developments, including single family dwellings, town house projects, commercial developments and for preliminary subdivision plats following verification of compliance with the Zoning Ordinance;
- Conducting field checks of site plan, use permit, or variance projects under construction to verify actual compliance with conditions and proffers, as necessary;
- Completing review and follow-up on site plans, and attending the Plan Review Work Group, construction and developer meetings, and other work groups to include preparing status reports/comments prior to meeting and informing developer/contractor of comments during review;
- Reviewing wall-check plats and final survey plats of projects under construction and verifying their compliance against the original approved plans and notifying the builders and inspectors of results if a problem exists;
- Attending monthly meetings for review of pending certificate of occupancy applications to review their submittal for completeness and possible zoning violations; and
- Briefing Zoning Enforcement inspectors on site plan, use permit, and Form-Based Code conditions relative to the inspection of projects.
Minimum: Associate's Degree in Architecture, Planning, Civil Engineering or a related field and considerable para-professional engineering experience that included using and understanding land development terminology; and/or applying land use planning and/or zoning practices policy and procedures.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for up to two years of the education requirement on a year for year basis. Completion of college courses in engineering, engineering associate, or a directly related field may be substituted for up to one year of experience on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Experience in architectural / engineering plan examination;
- Background in zoning ordinance implementation;
- Experience in construction site plan condition compliance or surveying; and/or
- Experience in negotiation and conflict resolution.
Applicant must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's state of residence at the time of appointment. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.Additional Information
This is a 40 hour a week position Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.