MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST (APPLICANT POOL) FULL PERFORMANCE - TRAINEE LEVEL
Please note: Look for new opportunities weekly. We currently have positions open in the following areas:
- Behavioral Healthcare Division - Substance Use and Case Management (Adults)
- Behavioral Healthcare Division - Drug Court Therapist (Adults)
- Discharge Planner - Part-time (20 hours/week)- Case Management (Adults)
- Child & Family Services Division - Youth Services (2 Vacancies - 1 Bilingual)
- Mental Health Therapist II (Licensed*): $61,609.60 - $94,078.40
- Mental Health Therapist II: $56,243.20 - $85,904.00
- Mental Health Therapist II (Trainee): $52,332.80 - $79,996.80
Positions are located in the following Divisions:
Aging & Disability Services Division
Child & Family Services Division
Behavioral Healthcare Division
For more information about the Department Human Services, please visit here:
Duties for Mental Health Therapists may include the following:
- Conducting initial intake assessments to determine level of care needed;
- Providing crisis intervention and facilitating psychiatric admissions;
- Developing and implementing treatment plans;
- Establishing effective therapeutic relationships with clients;
- Providing individual consultation and/or family therapy as well as facilitating groups;
- Case management and care coordination;
- Linking clients with case management services and/or referring to community resources;
- Discharge planning;
- Participating as a team member providing coordinated care of services;
- Traveling to serve clients in the community;
- Delivering, counseling, and monitoring medication given to clients;
- Assessing and documenting clients' progress in electronic databases; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in a clinical discipline such as Counseling, Clinical Social Work, Psychology, Psychiatric Nursing, Art Therapy, or other directly related clinical discipline, which included a clinical practicum involving provision of diagnostic and treatment services prior to graduation;
- Two years of full-time post-Master's degree experience providing clinical therapy and other mental health services in a related area, which included diagnostic and treatment services; and/or
- Meets the criteria of a Qualified Mental Health Professional- Adult (QMHP-A) or a Qualified Mental Health Professional- Child (QMHP-C per the Virginia Board of Counseling regulations within 60 days of hire if not licensed. https://www.dhp.virginia.gov/counseling/docs/QMHP_FAQs.pdf
- A Virginia Preadmission Screening Certification is required within 60 days of hire for some positions in Emergency Services. See link for details: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/behavioral-health/mental-health-services/protocols-and-procedures.
Hiring at the Trainee level: A training period will be established to last no longer than the equivalent of 24 months. At the end of the training period, the employee must meet experience, training, proficiency and certification requirements for the journey level position. Once the candidate qualifies, the one-year probationary period will begin.
Substitution: Directly-related higher level clinical degrees may substitute for the Master's degree education requirement and one year of experience providing clinical services. In the case of this substitution, qualifying full-time work experience must have been gained after the acquisition of the directly related higher level clinical degree.
Registration: Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP) registration in the State of Virginia may be required within 60 days of hire in the appropriate area (QMHP-A or QMHP-C) for candidates without current licensure in the State of Virginia.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- *Licensure in the State of Virginia â€“ LCSW, LPC, LCP, LMFT;
- Certification as a Substance Abuse Counselor - CSAC; and/or
- Experience in the program area specific to the job opening.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or ability to use alternative modes of transportation. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and criminal history which may include an NCIC check, a Virginia State Police background check, an FBI fingerprint background check, and/or a Virginia Department of Social Services Child Protective Services Central Registry search.
An online application is required. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the application process. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Not all programs served will have Mental Health Therapist vacancies during this time. Applicants need apply only one time to be considered during the advertised time period. To request access to update your application, please contact email@example.com or call 703-228-3500.
Work Hours: Specific work hours will be discussed during the interview process with the supervisor to meet program and client needs. Some positions may require holidays, nights, and/or weekend shifts.
Shift Differential: Employees in a full-time position may be eligible to receive the shift differential for hours worked when assigned a full evening or night shift.