Bus Maintenance Supervisor (Various Locations & Shifts)
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate supplemented by advanced formal training or certification in mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems or related fields
- A minimum four (4) years of progressively responsible mechanical experience in bus, automotive, fleet or similar environment; to include at least two (2) years responsible for leading a group of mechanical workers in repairing and maintaining vehicles, machines or equipment.
- Valid Commercial Drivers Learner’s Permit from jurisdiction of residence is required prior to appointment with proper Passenger, Air Brakes, and Tow truck operations endorsements.
- Must acquire a valid Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger, Air Brakes and Tow Truck operations endorsements by the completion of training.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Master Technician certification preferred.
- Experience at the supervisory level in bus, automotive, fleet or similar maintenance environment preferred.
Ability to satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position. Must be able to perform the essential functions of this job either with or without reasonable accommodation(s).
Supervises and coordinates bus maintenance personnel in safe work practices and technical vehicle maintenance work involving inspection, disassembly, rebuild/repair, assembly and installation of large and small electric/pneumatic/hydraulic components as well as preventative, corrective, body, paint and machinist work for all aspects of vehicle maintenance systems to include garage and shop activities. Initiates and supervise repairs, campaigns, rebuilds, reports and maintenance data collection associated with the technical aspect in support of Bus Maintenance.
- Oversees and guides work at facilities as needed.
- Responsible for the daily assignment of labor, which also includes daily review of payroll and submission of accurately completed time records.
- Ensures compliance with established rules, regulations and policies, and facilitates effective working relationships with employees and managers. Informs the Superintendent of work rule violations. Conducts performance coaching.
- Coordinates fleet activity needed for the shift to insure sufficient numbers of buses for the daily service. Performs a shift turn over to the oncoming Supervisor.
- Responsible for supervising quality control initiatives including quality review of paperwork, adherence to testing and inspection standards and performing in-process reviews of maintenance work being performed. Reviews work completed by contractors including documentation of their work at prescribed intervals.
- Recommends, initiates and evaluates innovative ways to improve fleet maintenance and the maintenance team concept. Develops and encourages the growth of team spirit among personnel.
- Schedules and manages work productivity based on shop goals.
- Ensures the fleet exhibits the appearance of a well-maintained and safe fleet vehicle. Accident damage, the effects of age on the body and decals, and vandalism damage will be kept to an absolute minimum. Coordinates the effort of the shop to identify new damage to the vehicles and prioritizes the repair efforts to those vehicles.
- Tracks, monitors and ensures corrective action for all vehicle maintenance. Tracks all completed maintenance for all vehicles daily for assigned shifts.
- Monitors laptops and ensures proper internal controls are adhered to.
- Supervises the day-to-day operations of the Bus Maintenance and implements management goals and priorities.
- Uses labor resources as needed in a cost-efficient manner.
- Responsible for ensuring quality work and shift / employee productivity.
- Continually monitors bus pull-outs. Makes the Superintendent aware of any problems in daily pull-outs.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate computerized and paper maintenance records in compliance with procedures and local, state and federal regulations. Provides accurate data in support of Key Performance Indicators.
- Recommends, initiates and evaluates innovative ways to improve fleet maintenance and the maintenance team concept.
- Inspects shop, servicing equipment and machinery to insure proper and safe working conditions and supervises proper preventative maintenance on all equipment, submits repair orders to facilitate repairs when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate maintenance daily reports and records.
- May fill in as needed in the Superintendent’s absence.
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to environmental policy, relevant policies and procedures as well as emergency management plans.
- Responsible for ensuring employees in their respective functional areas have adequate training and tools necessary to meet the requirements of their position in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement and standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for observing and evaluating required competencies among employees in their respective functional areas.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.