School Social Worker (Long Term Sub)
The School Social Worker promotes and enhances the overall academic mission of Loudoun County Public Schools by providing services that support students' academic and social success.
The School Social Worker alleviates barriers to learning by implementing effective intervention, strength and resiliency strategies with students, school staff, families and the community.* Provides individual and group counseling in the area of anger management, social skills, self-esteem, educational mindfulness, anxiety, resiliency and mental health for students in grades K-12. Works with students through a strength based service delivery model using evidence based interventions.
* Delivers classroom, school and community based presentations including Signs of Suicide, Substance Use Prevention and other related mental health topics.
* Interviews parents of students referred for possible special education services and compiles information into socio-cultural assessment reports for use in the special education eligibility process.
* Participates as an active member of the Pupil Services Student Support Team and Child Study Committee to effect school based interventions for students; provides consultations to teachers, parents and related services support staff.
* Provides referrals and case management services to students receiving Homebound, McKinney Vento and Foster Care services.
* Primary school-based referral source and member of interdisciplinary community based teams for students receiving services through the Children's Services Act and WRAP. Links students and families to resources in the community. Promotes educational, personal and social growth of students by strengthening the link between school, family and the community.
* Facilitates Restorative Practices Circles and Conferences and leads trainings in RP for school- based staff.
* Assists in planning, implementing and analyzing the following programs: Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS), PEER Program, Bullying Prevention, Sources of Strength, Suicide Prevention and Threat Assessment. Serves as part of the LCPS crisis intervention team.
* Collects and submits outcome-based data on programs under Student Support Services division.
* Performs other such duties as assigned by the Supervisor, Student Support Services, Director of Student Services and Assistant Superintendent for Pupil Services.
* Holds a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW) from an accredited college or university.
* Holds or is eligible for the Virginia Pupil Personnel Services License with an endorsement of School Social Worker and is knowledgeable about Ethical Codes and Standards under the National Association of Social Workers and School Social Workers Association of America.
* Has a minimum of one year of successful experience as a School Social Worker or Social Worker Intern.
* Possesses leadership qualities and professional characteristics necessary to work effectively with students, school personnel, parents and members of the community.
* Has knowledge of and experience with children and youth mental health issues.
* Demonstrates strong skills in oral and written communication and time management.
The School Social Worker reports to the Supervisor, Student Support Services.