Education Support Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $40,000-$44,000; commensurate with education and experience
Web Announcement :
INTO Mason Transfer Credit Coordinator
The George Mason University Office of Admissions is seeking a self-motivated, results-oriented individual to fill the position of INTO Mason Transfer Credit Coordinator. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position will evaluate international student transcripts and foreign credentials and process transfer credit to incoming INTO Mason students. The candidate will be expected to work in collaboration with other team members across the university and the Admissions Office to ensure excellent customer service and drive enrollment among diverse student populations.
This individual is responsible for assuring that Mason undergraduate and graduate admissions standards are maintained, and that transfer articulation processes and projects run smoothly. This position serves as a liaison between the INTO Mason Center, Masonâ€™s Office of Admissions, and the INTO Application Processing Center. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Transfer Articulation, and at the direction of the Director of Admissions Operations, and with input from the Director of International Admissions, the incumbent will provide decision-making authority on behalf of the Office of Admissions as it pertains to international transcript evaluation.
This person is responsible for determining foreign and domestic course equivalencies that impact a studentâ€™s standing at Mason. These decisions involve interpretation of complex standards and foreign credentials from all over the world. This person will communicate with departments across campus to determine course equivalencies as well as use course descriptions from TES: Transfer Evaluation System and individual course descriptions to determine Mason equivalencies for all international coursework.
The individual in this position determines adequacy of student documents submitted for admission purposes and must understand and uphold the immigration regulations that pertain to non-immigrant students on campus.
Research and authenticate external high school and college transcripts from international institutions as well as AP, IB, CLEP and other coursework for use in academic program degree requirements.
- Create, update and maintain transfer articulation database and articulate external courses and tests into Banner SIS system;
- Extensive communication with Mason departments and Mason Admissions to determine course-by-course eligibility and equivalencies. Evaluate foreign credentials for admission eligibility of prospective international undergraduate students and work closely with the Assistant Director of Transfer Articulation to determine credential equivalencies;
- Proactive communication with students and international institutions to obtain course descriptions or syllabi that will be utilized to determine Mason course equivalencies;
- Review status of former/current institutions(s) and degree(s) for accreditation in the country of origin using reference books and internet resources to determine whether Mason requirements are met;
- Stay up-to-date on articulation and evaluation standards, educational practices and the latest information on academic policy regarding admissions standards at the undergraduate and graduate levels both nationally and internationally;
- Convert foreign grading scales to a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) scale;
- Work within the INTO Mason Center and across the university as an effective team player;
- Respond to new projects and requests, as needed;
- Provide leadership in developing new tools and resources for the International Admissions Office and maintaining the organization of current resources;
- Review priorities, respond and communicate with internal and external stakeholders, write summaries, gather data and assist as needed;
- Inform applicants, students and faculty of Mason International Admissions policies;
- Liaise with Mason Office of Admissions and the INTO Application Processing Center on application decisions, processes and procedures;
- Maintain a positive and flexible attitude and provide constructive feedback within the team;
- Assist with other center-wide programs and activities as assigned; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a hectic, deadline-driven environment often working on multiple tasks concurrently;
- Superior written and oral communication skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Computer literacy and willingness to learn new software applications;
- Proven ability to work positively as a team member;
- Previous experience working in an office setting;
- Comfortable working with diverse populations;
- Available for occasional evening and weekend work;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and high degree of professionalism;
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service in a fast-paced, demanding environment;
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects independently;
- Previous experience with international transfer articulations;
- Experience working with international populations; and
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
- Previous experience with Ellucian Banner software;
- Previous experience with Salesforce CRM;
- Previous admissions experience;
- Previous experience working with graduate and undergraduate students in a counseling environment;
- Experience working with agents and in a public/private partnership work environment;
- Experience evaluating admissions credentials or auditing applications, programs of study or documents of a similar nature is very strongly preferred; and
- Significant experience working in a university admissions office performing application evaluation.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02589z at http://jobs.gmu.edu; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report â€œUp and Comingâ€ spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masonâ€™s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :