Psychiatric Consultant Nurse Practitioner
Job Category : Student Wage / Non-Student Wage
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Psychiatric Consultant Nurse Practitioner
The George Mason University, Student Health Services is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person for a Psychiatric Consultant Nurse Practitioner. The NP psychiatric consultant supports the collaborative care teamâ€”medical provider, patient, and behavioral health care managerâ€”through regular consultation on an assigned caseload of patients. The psychiatric consultant advises the prescribing medical provider on appropriate medications and other treatment strategies, also providing the care team with educational support on diagnosing and managing behavioral health conditions. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide regularly scheduled (usually weekly) caseload consultation to behavioral health care managers. Case review consultations focus primarily on patients who are new to the caseload or who are not improving as expected under their current treatment plan. Case reviews may be conducted by telephone, video, or in person.
- Work with behavioral health care managers to oversee the status and population health of their assigned patient caseload. The psychiatric consultant uses a registry to track all assigned patients and prioritize patients for case review and treatment adjustment. Registry functions can be accomplished through an EHR build, on a spreadsheet used in conjunction with an EHR, or can be built into a stand-alone clinical management tracking system that may or may not be linked to an EHR.
- Recommend any treatment adjustments through the case review process or in ad hoc consultations, including medication recommendations and other interventions, within 24 hours of consulting with a behavioral health care manager or other team members.
- Advise on treatment for patients who may need more intensive or more specialized mental health care, supporting treatment in the medical setting until patients can be engaged in specialized care as appropriate.
- Clearly communicate the limitations of the case review consultation and treatment recommendations if the patient is not evaluated in person.
- Be available to provide occasional ad hoc telephone consultation to medical providers for very complex patients or challenging patient situations. Respond to telephone calls from medical providers and behavioral health care managers within one business day. Respond to urgent telephone calls within one hour, if available. Coordinate with other psychiatric consultants for vacation coverage. Optional Activities
- Direct evaluation of patients with significant diagnostic or therapeutic challenges who are identified in discussion with the patientâ€™s behavioral health care manager and/or primary care provider. Such consultation may be provided in person or via telemedicine (video or telephone).
- Development and delivery of in-service training for primary care-based providers and staff regarding recognition and treatment of behavioral health conditions in primary care. Required Qualifications:
- Licensed psychiatric nurse practitioner
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively in a team setting
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive, flexible, and solution-focused attitude
- Ability to quickly synthesize medical and psychiatric data and formulate effective and evidence-based clinical recommendations Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with primary care psychiatry or consultation-liaison psychiatry
Your position is fully (or partially) funded from Sponsored Program funds. It is especially important that you understand that your employment is contingent upon the continuation of sponsored program funding.
All twelve (12) month faculty must use all accrued annual leave prior to separation from the university. There will be no payout of any unused annual or sick leave at the end of this appointment.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :