Recreation Services Manager
Recreation Services Manager
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Recreation Services Manager position
In pursuit of service excellence, Recreation Services Manager, of the Recreation Manager II classification, directs the operation of a large diversified neighborhood recreation center. This class is responsible for the overall planning, budgetary, programmatic, supervisory and business management of a recreation facility. Considerable independent judgment and initiative is required in developing and maintaining the overall recreational activities including both community and revenue-producing programs. The Recreation Manager II should also be available to work various hours which include days, evenings, weekends and some holidays. The Recreation Manager II supervises staff, volunteers, and summer youth workers; general supervision of the position is received from the Division Chief of Recreation Services.
What You Should Bring
Each employee work to meet the recreation needs of our community. You must have experience programming for all age groups and abilities, managing contracts and working in recreation centers to maximize the experience for our users; and demonstrate experience managing a large and diverse staff. You will assist in the development and implementation of the section's operating budget and resource allocation and cost recovery policy. The recreation center operates Monday-Thursday from 9am -9pm and Fridays/Saturdays from 9am -11pm, and can accommodate a varied work schedule that will include working on short notice, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Coordinates with the Department's Marketing Manager to promote the success of all Center programs/activities; ensures that the implementation of programs/activities are in line with the Department's Strategic Plan;
- Develops and implements annual strategic program plans for the Community Recreation Section, with a focus on reducing citywide unmet recreational needs and producing revenue toward a program-specific annual cost recovery goal;
- Directs and manages the development, planning, and coordination of recreational programs and activities to meet the needs and interests of the community;
- Good knowledge of RecTrac, Munis, Kronos, and Microsoft Office;
- Manages the daily operations of a recreation center including staff supervision, fee collection and deposit, facility maintenance, use and care of recreation supplies and equipment;
- Manages the facility operations and maintenance to ensure customer satisfaction by providing a safe, clean, secure and anesthetically pleasing environment;
- Monitors payroll, maintains financial records, maintains attendance and registration reports, oversee evaluations of programs;
- Prepares and manages the recreation center annual budget and provides justification for resources that support the City's Strategic Plan Goals and RPCA's established Cost Recovery Policy;
- Represents the Department at public meetings and maintains working relationships with members of the community, including with interest groups/stakeholders;
- Schedules, assigns and evaluates subordinate personnel conducting programs and activities; trains staff; conducts meetings for center staff;
- Other duties as assigned.
About the Department
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public space, cultural activities, and programming. The City of Alexandria Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.