Naturalist Recreation Manager
Naturalist Recreation Manager
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Naturalist Recreation Manager.
In pursuit of service excellence the Naturalist, classified under the Recreation Manager II classification, performs planning, organizing, and directing the operation of an interpretive nature program and nature center work. This position will direct staff on a variety of interpretive program plans. Supervision, planning and fiscal management skills are needed to be successful in this position.
What You Should Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You will work to meet the of our community. You will ensure that environmental educational opportunities are available to students and the general public. You will have the support of and work under the direction of Division Chief â€“ Natural Resources. You will provide customer service experiences that meets the high standards of excellence.
- Directs and manages the development, planning and coordination of nature and environmental programs and activities to meet the needs and interests of the community;
- Develops comprehensive interpretive plans for programs, special projects, publications, exhibits, and themes, including goals and objectives for delivering programs and services;
- Maintains cooperative working relationships with officials from public and private schools, City agencies, and private organizations for promotion of nature programs and for use of the nature center and City parks through which programs are conducted;
- Formulates budgetary requirements, presents budget plans for approval by higher-level departmental and City officials, and executes budgets in accordance with authorized provisions;
- Assists the Division Chief in setting policies, budget development, program analysis, and evaluation of the nature center programs;
- Monitors payroll, coordinates revenue flow, maintains accounting and financial records, maintains attendance and registrations reports, and oversees evaluations of programs;
- Provides supervision and oversight of personnel to ensure the operations and programming meet and/or exceed citizen expectations;
- Interviews and selects candidates for vacant positions, counsels employees on work related matters, identifies their training needs, and effectuates minor disciplinary measures as required;
- Holds periodic staff meetings with personnel to reinforce work expectations, discuss and resolve issues, and to exchange information regarding program operations;
- Selects and cares for nature center's live animals, fish, and plants, including their housing, supplies, health care, feeding, watering and State licensing;
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public spaces, cultural activities, and programming. The Department's vision is to improve the well-being of every person in our community by connecting them to each other and their environment. The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.