Technical Program Specialist
The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics is seeking a Technical Program Specialist who will be responsible for:
- Coordinating details for the technical session programs for AIAA forums and sponsored conferences, as assigned, with support from the Technical Program Coordinator
- Assisting authors, editors, reviewers, and staff in the use of the electronic manuscript submission, review, and tracking system(s) used to develop the technical program for AIAA forums
- Working with the events team to create an accurate and user-friendly technical program description and schedule in all formats (e.g., print, digital, app-based, etc.).
- Serve as primary staff liaison to forum Technical Program Committees, from onboarding committee members through the conclusion of each event. Specific tasks include creating and maintaining the committee roster, scheduling telecon and face-to-face meetings with the program committee, facilitating discussion, capturing and tracking action items, and soliciting post-conference feedback.
- Work with the Technical Program Committees and forum Project Managers to identify and collect session topic information and manage the call for papers process. Provide content of calls for papers to marketing staff to publish the call for papers for each event on the forum websites.
- Work with Technical Program Committees and forum Project Managers to identify technical program milestones and to build each event technical program in the abstract management system.
- In consultation with Technical Program Coordinator, set up initial author submission requirements in the abstract management system and implement changes and improvements to the system, as appropriate.
- Enter information into abstract management system to support the development of the technical program, including names of organizers and session room grid as provided by the forum Project Manager.
- Work with Technical Program Committees to de-conflict sessions in the abstract management system.
- Assist authors in abstract and manuscript submission process—from initial abstract submission to actual delivery of the manuscript (including revised manuscripts).
- Respond to and resolve inquiries related to papers and the paper management systems from volunteers and staff in a timely fashion.
- Follow established processes and procedures for tasks related to technical papers and technical program development in coordination with the Technical Papers Coordinator.
- Coordinate with the paper management systems vendor and oversee their performance of tasks to requirements and schedule.
- Maintain the technical program and session information in abstract management system and supply content to appropriate staff for event call for papers, websites, session signs, and final program description and schedule, as appropriate.
- Distribute abstract acceptance and rejection notifications to authors.
- Distribute Session Chair letters to provide volunteers with job duties and information on accessing the system and assist Session Chairs and other organizers as necessary.
- Support the manuscript metadata from the paper management system to AIAA for the population of the electronic library.
- Proofread and prepare final files for onsite program schedule and session signs.
- Manage paper withdrawals and author no shows.
- Prepare and distribute submission, acceptance, and publication statistics for technical papers to the forum’s Project Manager and Technical Program Committee.
- Coordinate with appropriate staff on timeline when the online proceedings are due to go live and then support staff and the paper management system vendor to ensure files are received on time.
- Proofread forum promotional pieces to ensure inclusion and accuracy of technical program information.
- Provide on-site technical paper support at conferences as needed (could include possible travel and work on weekends/holidays).
- With support from the Technical Program Coordinator, interface with IT and marketing staff to report and follow up with technical issues related to papers, abstract management system, and forum websites.
- As directed by Technical Program Coordinator, review post-event surveys and track topics and audience for technical program at forums; include information in a topic database to help inform content for future events and other products such as courses, books, etc.
- Participate in periodic meetings with conference organizers and project teams, as necessary.
- Other tasks as assigned by manager.
- Reports to Senior Manager, Publications Operations and Web Publishing
- Work with staff within Products & Programs Division, and other staff as appropriate
- Communicate with authors, event planning committees, content developers, and vendors
- Moderate travel required, three to five domestic trips per year
- One to three years of relevant experience, such as experience working on computer
systems, specifically relational databases, and content management systems (i.e., ScholarOne, SharePoint, etc.)
- Four-year college degree; preferably in business, communications or related field.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to work well within teams
- Ability to handle pressure and multiple tasks, and adhere to deadlines
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to proofread program and promotional materials effectively and efficiently
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong command of Microsoft Office tools
- Extensive experience managing databases
- Familiarity with ScholarOne Abstracts a plus
To apply, email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com.
Why Work at AIAA?
Make a real difference in the aerospace industry! Assist us in positioning aerospace for its exciting future while celebrating the industry’s pioneering accomplishments. As an AIAA employee, you will enjoy competitive compensation and benefits including:
- 37.5-hr work week
- 11 holidays + vacation and sick leave
- Great location off the Dulles Toll Road near the new Reston Silver Line Metro
- Awarded ‘Best Workplaces for Commuters’ by Fairfax County Transit Authority and the National Center for Transit Research
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance with low co-pays
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with generous match
- Group Term Life insurance
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Educational assistance
- Health club and Weight Watchers subsidy
AIAA is the largest aerospace professional society in the world, serving an innovative, high-value workforce that helps make the world safer, more connected, more accessible, and more prosperous. We represent a profession whose great work has produced everything from the brilliant innovations that affect daily living to the major missions that fuel our collective human drive to explore and to accomplish amazing things.
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
12700 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 200
Reston, VA 20191