Instructional Designer II
6 days left
- Full Time
Instructional Designer II - C1
The Graduate School
Non-Exempt, Contingent 1, Part-Time, Pay Grade Stateside Contingent 1
Location: Largo, MD
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Instructional Designer II (part-time) in The Graduate School (TGS).
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMUC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Academic Projects, the Instructional Designer II supports the Dean's Office in activities related to academic offerings and projects.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Collaborating actively with Program Chairs, Faculty, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and others, the Instructional Designer II assists with, and supports, the design and implementation of academic programs by:
- assessing overall curriculum needs and determining course goals, course objectives, and the sequence in which to address them
- applying tested instructional design theories, practices, and methods in the design and development of online courses
- incorporating new tools, strategies, and technologies that are appropriate for adult learners in order to enhance instructional effectiveness and support successful student outcomes
- crafting learning activities that align with goals and objectives and enhance student learning and engagement
- developing engaging, ADA-compliant course materials, including graphics and videos, to support the curriculum
- inputting instructional content and changes into course delivery systems (e.g. edX)
- establishing criteria and assessment instruments to measure student learning
- revising existing curriculum offerings based on assessment data
- managing the workflow of the development process by coordinating input from SMEs and other team members
- maintaining documentation on course development
- training users on technologies, processes, and theories, as required
- performing other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience (or a combination of education and experience) designing instruction and applying principles of adult learning theories and methodologies to assessment, development, delivery, and evaluation
- Strong project management experience, including knowledge of the instructional systems design process
- Demonstrated experience with competency-based learning and online learning
- Demonstrated experience designing in a multimedia environment and knowledge of educational technologies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Strong technical skills
- Excellent writing skills
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, or a related field.
- Experience working in higher education
- Knowledge of intellectual property rights and ADA compliance issues in online education environments, open educational resources, and edX.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.