Policy & Advocacy Assistant - American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG)
The American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG), the primary professional membership organization for human genetics specialists worldwide, seeks a Policy & Advocacy Assistant. This person will report to the Senior Director, Policy and Advocacy, and will help fulfill the Society’s advocacy role by helping to develop advocacy resources for members; supporting the development of policy statements; and coordinating policy and advocacy-related events and other administrative duties.
- Assists in executing persuasive strategies to build ASHG member engagement in advocacy
- Develops member resources to facilitate member advocacy
- Coordinates policy and advocacy-related events, and the promotion of ASHG advocacy, at the Society’s Annual Meeting
- Works with Communications team to execute member communication related to advocacy and policy.
- Provides support for congressional briefings and other advocacy-related events
- Coordinates administration of the Genetics and Public Policy Fellow program
- Provides administrative support for the department and ASHG volunteer committees related to advocacy and policy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently, seek input when warranted, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to build and maintain professional working relationships, and to work collaboratively with members and across departments with other ASHG staff
- Competency with office technology and software suites, as well as social media tools
- Professional behavior within and outside the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a team
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; science or public policy-related degrees a strong plus.
- 1 year of science-advocacy related paid or volunteer experience through internships, college activity, etc.
- Demonstrated interest in advancing science and health policy
- Sitting for a full work day
- Extensive use of computer keyboard, mouse and monitor
- Regular local travel to attend meetings and conferences.
- Occasional long-distance multi-day travel, including to attend ASHG’s Annual Meeting
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements, your resume and a writing sample of your choice. For a detailed job description and to submit your application, please visit: http://www.faseb.org/employment
ASHG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about ASHG, please visit: www.ashg.org