Long Range Principal Planner
Long Range Principal Planner
This position will represent the City of Alexandria on a wide range of technical, non-technical and policy issues that will require broad vision and communications, transportation, and operational expertise. The selected candidate will be responsible for managing long-range planning activities, developing city-wide policies that support development of Alexandria's multi-modal goals, and supporting and advancing the department's goals and requirements. This person will work closely with the Traffic Engineering and Mobility Services Divisions within T&ES and the Department of Planning and Zoning. Major projects and programs include the Alexandria Mobility Plan, the biennial Multi-modal Survey, regional coordination, staff liaison to the Transportation Commission, and serving on teams for projects involving transit, small area plans, and traffic engineering. Work is performed under general instruction from the Division Chief, the Deputy Director or the Director with considerable latitude for initiative and independent judgment on assigned major projects.
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate embraces the core values of the City: Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Continuous Improvement. This candidate is open minded and treats all people with dignity, embraces diversity and welcomes individual perspectives, backgrounds and opinions, listens well and always exhibits civility. They are honest and fair, strategic and transparent about how they make decisions, and value the public's trust. They are accountable for decisions and actions and follows through on commitments. They work well with others to achieve great things and are committed to learning and growing.
In addition to exhibiting the core values of the City, we are looking for a candidate with a strong background in successfully and creatively engaging with the public, project management experience including management of consultants and contracts, and a understanding of transportation's role within broader city functions and its impact on quality of life.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission, and values of the City of Alexandria, and provides excellent customer service.
- Seeks opportunities to initiate improvement in organizational processes and effectiveness, including public engagement,
- Manages complex, multi-faceted transportation planning initiatives in high profile development areas; including coordinating complex interests and resources in the development of program work from the initial concept planning phase to the final presentation of major planning and policy recommendations.
- Works closely with VDOT and other external agencies to secure and execute grant agreements and works in close coordination with the City Fiscal Team to manage the project budgets.
- Acts as liaison to and manages the Transportation Commission.
- Coordinates with other City agencies, interest groups, and jurisdictions on highly specialized policy, transportation, and planning issues, and responds to complex inquiries and requests for interpretations or determinations;
- Fosters relationships with the community to ensure positive partnerships
- Collaborates on other City strategic planning efforts to ensure alignment with transportation plans, goals and objectives.
- Manages special projects and studies, such as the Alexandria Mobility Plan, from beginning to end, with a high level of community engagement;
- Develops city-wide policies to promote the goals of the Transportation Master Plan; authoritatively interprets agency policy, regulations and standards as applied to problems involving land use proposals, neighborhood issues, parking, and implementation, transportation planning or operational problems;
- Prepares and reviews docket items, reports and/or analysis for the City Manager, City Council, Boards & Commissions and the T&ES Director, and recommends strategies and policy options on studies, proposals, and other reports.
For additional information regarding this position click here.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a Four-Year College Degree; at least five years of progressively-responsible experience in urban or transportation planning and management of large-scale urban projects, and completion of college-level courses in urban planning, transportation or transit planning, public administration, engineering, geography, or a related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess a Master's Degree; more than five years of progressive planning experience, AICP certification; demonstration of progressive project management experience; experience implementing plan or study recommendations; and proven public engagement successes, including gathering feedback and translating into effective policy guidance and recommendations.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City, click City of Alexandria to learn more.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment background checks including but not limited to drug testing, criminal background.