Chief of Surveys
Chief of Surveys
The Chief of Surveys provides overall supervision for City survey operations. An employee in this class, in addition to the responsibility for the professional and timely performance of all survey work, is responsible for the preparation and presentation of agreements to, and negotiations with, landowners for the acquisition of real estate required by the City. Work is performed under the Development and Right-of-Way Division.
- Coordinates and assigns survey field and computation work for the survey team;
- Oversees survey requests for city-wide development and capital projects;
- Researches and verifies property ownership;
- Reviews and recommends deed and plat preparation;
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders on proposed site developments;
- Provides technical information to other City departments, attorneys, and consultants throughout the plan preparation and review process;
- Performs other work as required.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must have completed college-level courses in real estate, land acquisition, land surveying, drafting, and mathematics; and at least five years of responsible experience in construction and related surveying including some supervisory experience at the level of Survey Party Chief; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Certification, or the ability to be certified by the Virginia State Board of Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Certified Landscape Architects as a Licensed Land Surveyor within six months of appointment.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess Four-Year College Degree in a directly-related field; Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of construction and related land surveying; good knowledge of the laws governing, and the practices and procedures for acquisition of land and easements; and 7-10 years of survey related experience.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City, click City of Alexandria to learn more.