UTILITY BILLING SPECIALIST
The Department of Environmental Services is seeking an experienced Billing Specialist to provide billing support to the Utilities Billing Office team, and provide direct customer service to customers. This employee works in a team environment within the Utility Billing Office which is responsible for accurate and timely billing of 37,000 customer accounts for water, sewer, and refuse billing.
Specific duties include:
- Completing final billing and delinquency notices and maintaining record of notices, ensuring service orders are timely processed and closed and initial/final reads are entered into the billing system;
- Reviewing and validating customer refund requests, working with other county agencies to refund overpayments made to final accounts, and notifying customers of pending refunds;
- Processing unclaimed funds by the designated deadlines, ensuring customer records are current, working with various county agencies to obtain the information needed for researching discrepancies and correcting erroneous information in the billing system;
- Providing customer service support by escalating customer account and service issues to the appropriate Customer Service Office staff and assisting customers with online account registration for access to their account;
- Processing and performing quality review of meter related service orders from Water/Sewer/Streets field staff to identify account discrepancies, ensuring accuracy and completeness of information before updating utilities billing system, and tracking and researching accounts that require follow-up with field staff or other systems to completion;
- Assisting billing staff with the timely review of large volumes of bills, reviewing reports, and billing system to identify possible billing errors or anomalies;
- Assisting with the preparation of periodic billing reports, and undertaking special billing projects at the request of senior billing staff;
- Coordinating bill correction process and maintaining a log of these corrections for data collection and metrics measurement purposes; and
- Transmitting billing files to outside contractors for printing and mailing to customers.
The ideal candidate will have experience with multiple billing and work order management systems, and able to effectively prioritize competing demands and deadlines. Selection Criteria
Minimum: High school diploma or GED plus two years of experience providing office support including providing direct customer service support to the public and performing billing functions.
Substitution: Successful completion of college coursework from an accredited college or university can be substituted for the experience requirement on the following basis:
- 2 years = 6 months of experience;
- 4 years = 1 year of experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Validating information and calculating monetary adjustments using spreadsheets;
- Using software systems to research and/or enter and retrieve data; and/or
- Resolving customer billing issues or other service related complaints.
Work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional overtime may be required.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the application process. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The official title of this position is Services Assistant IV.