PERMIT PROCESSING SPECIALIST
The Department of Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) is hiring a Permit Processing Specialist to join its IAS-accredited, award-winning Inspection Services Division (ISD). The ISD works with Arlington citizens, contractors, architects, and developers to build and maintain property throughout the County. This customer-service oriented position coordinates and completes the construction permit application and issuance process in a friendly and efficient manner. Reporting to the Permits Administration Manager, the Permit Processing Specialist communicates technical information and explains permit processes and building code regulations to the public.
To learn more about the ISD please visit our website here.
Specific duties include:
- Providing excellent customer service for large numbers of incoming calls, emails and walk-in customers;
- Resolving issues and answering questions related to permit applications, fees, calculation of square footage, construction plans and specifications, and submission requirements with accuracy, efficiency and a positive approach;
- Communicating information and educating homeowners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors on the construction code and document requirements for permits and the review, issuance, and inspection process;
- Reviewing and processing permit applications and issuing building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical permits, and Certificates of Occupancy in compliance with established regulations;
- Evaluating paper and electronic construction plans for accuracy and ensuring all necessary information is provided for submission and review;
- Maintaining databases to create permits, and to catalog, track, and manage the flow of customers and documents through the permitting process; and
- Determining, calculating and collecting fees.
Minimum: Associate's degree in Construction, Engineering, Architectural Technology, or area related to building inspection, plus six months of experience in the building and construction trades industry. Employees hired after September 4, 2018 must complete the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) Core Module and Permit Technician Course and obtain ICC Permit Technician certification within 12 months of hire. CPHD will cover the cost of the initial ICC Permit Technician test and the required DHCD courses.
Substitution: Additional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates who demonstrate experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Delivering excellent, professional customer service;
- Communicating technical information and explaining policies and procedures;
- Providing office services to the public and building construction industry stakeholders in an office setting;
- Familiarity with permit-processing software;
- Working with permitting application processes;
- Reading and understanding plans, construction drawings, and technical construction terminology; and/or
- Having earned one or more of the following certifications issued through the International Code Council (ICC) and/or the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
- ICC General Plans Examiner
- ICC Residential Plans Examiner
- DHCD Property Maintenance
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
To receive full credit for your experience, please ensure that you have included details of all relevant work experience on your application and have completed the Supplemental Questionnaire in its entirety.
Work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Attendance is required when the office is open to the public.
Candidates who already possess an ICC Permit Technician certification and who have 18 months of full-time experience in the building or construction trades industry are eligible to be hired as a Permit Processing Specialist II. The salaries for these positions are as follows:
Permit Processing Specialist II: $42,307.20 - $64,646.40