CENTRAL LIBRARY ADMINISTRATIVE LIBRARIAN
7 days left
- Full Time
Arlington County Government is hiring an Administrative Librarian for its Central Library location to assist in the effective coordination and delivery of daily library services and building operations. Reporting directly to the Central Services Division Chief, the Administrative Librarian is assigned to various special projects and initiatives to include overseeing the Central Library's public service areas and post renovation efficiency plan.
The recently renovated Central Library maintains the County's largest collection of books, audiovisual materials, games, and other loanable items encompassing Adult, Youth, Local History and circulation departments. Renovations to these public service areas include a newly dedicated makerspace, new meeting rooms, and a broadcast-ready auditorium. These enhancements allow for a larger variety of library events and encourage greater community participation.
Arlington Public Library is the heart of a thoughtful, inclusive and dynamic community where people and ideas connect. To learn more about our services and operations, please visit our website here.
Specific duties include:
- Overseeing logistics and communications for all Central Library operations related to meeting rooms, events, digital signage, facilities and technological oversight to include managing calendars, coordinating room access, custodial and staff set up, audio-visual (AV) training and troubleshooting, maintenance, repair and oversight;
- Assisting patrons with questions, assessing needs, identifying necessary resources, and providing direct public services throughout the library;
- Serving as the Central Library contact for public engagement spaces, exhibits, artwork, and community, Library and County display boards; ensures the appearance of these areas are current and appropriately maintained;
- Collaborating with Central Library Management Team Members to develop and improve on existing staff training, building procedures, protocols and guidelines; and
- Maintaining a rotation schedule for the management team to serve as the Central Point of Contact (POC).
Minimum: Master's degree in Library Science or Information Science from an ALA accredited college or university plus considerable experience serving in a Librarian role working with at least one year providing customer service in a library setting.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates who demonstrate experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Acted as a Central Point of Contact in a library setting;
- Managed projects to include space planning and/or meeting and event logistics in a library setting;
- Leveraged various technology platforms to provide direct public services;
- Worked cross-departmentally to collaborate on a major renovation, project or service;
- Provided direct services to a diverse population and providing exceptional customer service preferably in a public library setting.
Must be able to push heavy book carts, lift 25 pounds, and stand for extended periods of time.Additional Information
Work Hours: Full-time 40 hours per week. Schedule includes some evening and weekend work.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process. Please do not enter "see resume" as a response to the questions. Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This position is a part of an alternative pay program that includes career path and pay-for-performance elements and an extended salary ceiling. Entry level within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience. Pay potential will be based on performance and employee development.