General Health Science Officer
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: At least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade (GS-13) or equivalent. Specialized experience must include mastery of scientific approaches and technical advancements to advance diagnostic, therapeutic and panomics capabilities in a variety of DoD and Air Force research programs in support of modernization in medical modeling and simulation, infectious disease and countermeasures, military operational medicine, radiation surveillance, and clinical and rehabilitative medicine to address Joint medical and AFMS capability gaps in detecting emerging threats, surveillance, countermeasures, clinical medical enhancements, psychological health, diagnostics and therapeutics, clinical patient safety, nutrition, modeling and simulation, trauma resuscitation, emerging threats, expeditionary trauma care, contingency operations, expeditionary medical support, global reach operations, humanitarian operations, irregular warfare, contingency operations; and a comprehensive knowledge of planning, programming, and budgeting regulations, guidelines, and processes; and knowledge of DoD, Air Force/AFMS, MAJCOM/COCOM planning, acquisition, and management processes to support local and AFMS research roadmap and strategic plan build in support of long-range Air Force Science and Technology roadmap, strategic plan and operations planning.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1. Professional knowledge of principles and techniques to engage in scientific investigations to study physiological responses to trauma, burns, sepsis and surgery, underlying mechanisms of local and systemic reactions, establishment and maintenance of homeostasis and wound healing, clinical and rehabilitative care.
2. Expert knowledge of the highly complex area of biological effects of trauma to determine improved non-surgical and surgical intervention, emergent treatment of major trauma, burn injury, and associated sequels of infection, inflammation, shock, and sepsis at all levels of care on the ground and in transport, to include in route care, and resuscitation and stabilization of combat and non-combat trauma patients.
3. Knowledge og an experience in conducting translational, outcomes based diagnostics and therapeutics research, and in understanding of the relationship between the various military entities involved in overall planning, and execution of DoD Medical Research, Service specific medical modernization and research activities and product transition process to improve patient care.
4. Knowledge and skills necessary to sit on committees, lead multidisciplinary teams, and mentor newly assigned research personnel on project and protocol specific requirements. The ability to obtain quality outcomes, report possible changes affecting medical practice and facilitate reporting relevant information in medical publications, clinical practice guidelines, technical reports.
5. Scientific knowledge an kills in directing a laboratory operation, applying resources management, contractual management procedures and requirements, and application of Federal, OASD, Air Force/AFMS research standards and goals as it applies to assigned programs; and modernization projects.
6. Ability to effectively communicate technical information, statistics, project status and data results orally an in writing.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
This is a Direct Hire Public Notice and is being used to fill under the Direct Hire Authority for Select Technical Acquisition Positions for grades 5-15. Under this recruitment procedure applications will be accepted for each location/ installation identified in this Public Notice and selections are made for vacancies as they occur. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application. Positions may be filled as permanent, temporary or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location.
Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level.
This public notice may be used to fill target grades (e.g. GS-05 Target GS 15) (e.g. GS-07 Target GS 15) (e.g. GS-09 Target GS 15). There may be promotion potential up to the GS-15 or equivalent.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities, please visit: https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.