CLOSING DATE: open until filled
Children and families in the nation’s capital have benefited from Boys Town Washington, DC services since the site opened its doors in 1993.
Boys Town is nationally recognized for its research-proven child, health and family care programs. As one of the country’s largest nonprofit funded child-care organizations, Boys Town touches the lives of more than 2 million children and families nationwide each year.
OVERVIEW OF JOB
The Maintenance Specialist - Site constructs or repairs structures and provides maintenance support to our business offices and family homes. Some responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Builds, repairs, and installs woodwork including counters, cabinets, benches, floors, doors, framework, and trim for organizational facilities ensuring completed work conforms to proper procedures, accreditation guidelines, and standards of quality and safety.
- Performs preventative and corrective maintenance including cleaning gutters, caulking windows, repairing furniture, and replacing tiles. Installs plastic laminates, window trimmings, and door locks and closures.
- Completes service order forms and records work performed, duration, and materials used.
- Maintains shop facilities and equipment required for maintenance repairs and safety.
- Maintains grounds and landscaping as needed including mowing lawns, pulling weeds, trimming and planting trees and shrubbery, applying fertilizers and insecticides, maintaining and repairing irrigation system, removing snow from sidewalks and parking areas.
- Utilizes Boys Town vehicle to transport supplies and equipment to work locations.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, OR SKILLS
- High school diploma or equivalent; vocational training is preferred.
- 1 to 2 years of experience in all phases of carpentry or woodworking.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and pass an annual Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check.
- This position is on-call (continuously or rotationally) to provide support and must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays if needed.
- Knowledge of a broad range of construction and remodeling practices, techniques, tools, equipment, and safety procedures.
- Mathematical skills to calculate specifications and costs and the ability to read blueprints and understand and interpret written and verbal instructions.
- Skills in installation, repair, or restoration of wood and other construction materials.
- Ability to communicate in an articulate, professional manner.
- Ability to organize assigned tasks for completion.
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.