ASTRO, the American Society for Radiation Oncology, is looking for an individual with a minimum of five years of writing and editing experience to serve as ASTRO’s Communications Manager and managing editor of the Society’s magazine, ASTROnews. The Communications Manager is responsible for managing all member communications, including editorial aspects of member publications including ASTROnews, weekly e-newsletters, and other Society communications (print and electronic), as well as writing and editing materials for the Society.
As managing editor of ASTROnews, this individual will manage all aspects of the publication of the magazine, both in print and online, including managing the Editorial Board; soliciting story ideas; soliciting graphics and photos; editing all content; writing content; assisting with advertising sales firm and working with our graphic designer to determine organization and layout. Some travel will be required during ASTRO’s Annual Meeting.
Job responsibilities include:
- Serve as the managing editor of ASTROnews and manage all aspects of the publication of the magazine, both in print and online, including managing Editorial Board, soliciting story ideas, soliciting graphics/photos, editing all content, writing content and working with graphic designer to determine organization and layout, as well as editing online version as needed.
- Manage the editorial aspects of ASTROgram, including soliciting and approving story ideas and editing and writing content.
- Oversee the editing of print and online items for style, grammar and content.
- Write and report on ASTRO events, including publishing Daily papers and digital newsletters from the ASTRO Annual Meeting and other society meetings.
- Assist with advertising sales (participate on sales calls, complete insertion orders) and oversee advertising sales productivity (monitor sales vs. budget, content, deadlines, available space) for ASTROnews, ASTROgrams and ASTRO.org.
- Develop and monitor appropriate Communication department budget accounts.
- Develop, monitor and promote content for the ASTRO blog.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications.
- Five to seven years of editorial experience.
- Three to five years of publication management experience, preferably in magazine publishing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong knowledge of AP style required.
- Familiarity with writing for health care preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobat, familiarity with content management and media monitoring software desirable.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, adhere to schedules and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player with ability to relate to all levels of individuals.
- Solid understand of publication production and creative process.
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Commuter benefits with employer subsidy
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance
- and more
Please see our website www.astro.org for more information about ASTRO.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume by clicking here.
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.