The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Lifeguard.
In pursuit of service excellence the Lifeguard provides facility monitoring for an aquatic environment for all ages and background in the population. Lifeguards will ensure the safety of all patrons and provide exceptional customer service; pool operators will additionally ensure proper pool chemistry, repair and inspect pool pumps, filters, and plumbing and other duties assigned.
What You Should Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You will work to meet the needs of our community. You will have the support of and work under the direction of the Aquatic Recreation Coordinator and/or Aquatic Recreation Manager II. The hours will vary Sunday- Saturday 4:30am- 9:00pm with specials events outside of standard business hours.
- Administer emergency and routine first aid calmly with good judgment during all stressful situations;
- Completes daily log and maintains report. Accurately and completely fills out required forms relating to aquatic facility incidents/accidents and submit to supervisor;
- Function effectively as a team member;
- Maintain equipment ensuring that equipment is safe, clean, and in working order and that supplies are adequate for operation of the facility;
- Maintains continuous watch on the aquatic facility and participants to prevent injury and minimize or eliminate an aquatic emergency;
- Observes and enforces pool rules and regulations;
- Performs daily pool chemistry, filtration, and custodial maintenance duties to ensure the safe and clean aquatic facility environment;
- Responds quickly to all emergency situations and follows standardized rescue procedures per Red Cross Lifeguard training;
- Responds to customer questions and concerns in a positive and professional matter;
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public spaces, cultural activities, and programming. The Department's vision is to improve the well-being of every person in our community by connecting them to each other and their environment. The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.