Public Relations and Marketing Associate
Thank you for considering Howard Community College in your search.
About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
The public relations and marketing associate has diverse duties that range from office manager and administrative support to event planning and budget assistance. The office associate provides administrative support to the executive director and provides analytical, logistical, and creative support to other office staff to assist them, as needed, with core work.
The office associate serves as the department's front desk receptionist, and is the first point of contact and an essential liaison for internal clients seeking services from the Public Relations and Marketing (PRM) Office and for the external public, legislative staff, and news media seeking information and assistance with time-sensitive and, at times, urgent requests for the college. Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills are essential to provide support to the executive director and the staff of PRM.
Office Management Responsibilities
Responds to inquiries from HCC faculty and staff for PRM services, clarifies their needs, explains PRM procedures, and refers them to the appropriate PRM staff member.
Receives telephone calls, visitors, and email inquiries, including inquiries from news media and legislators and their staff. Make judgments on best way to process inquiries, and route them to appropriate persons or offices.
Makes travel arrangements for team members; places work orders with plant operations, information technology, and the mailroom.
Prepares purchase requisitions for the PRM office, including employee reimbursement requests. Processes payments, reviews and reconciles invoices to contracts and/or purchase orders, and forwards these to finance for payment. Works with finance office, vendors, and creative services manager to resolve any and all discrepancies, as needed.
Provides support for the PRM team to ensure the department's core work of brand management, enrollment management, and funding support is consistent and successful. These duties may include, but are not limited to, submitting information to online news calendars; setting up interviews and contacting students, faculty or staff; processing and distributing photos; interview note-taking or transcribing; templated writing assignments; editing and proofreading; maintaining the office's student profile database, and other job file management responsibilities.
Administrative Support Responsibilities
Provides administrative support for the Executive Director to include calendar management, meeting scheduling, budget management support, and other duties as assigned.
Tracks office spending, and extracts financial reports and other information about department budget and expenditures within HCC's Colleague management information system. Also, develops and updates custom spreadsheets as needed to monitor actual and projected department spending to support EDPRM's budget management.
Maintains legislator contact database, and assists with updating media contact database, as needed.
Event Planning Responsibilities
Coordinates the planning and execution of the annual Legislative Breakfast, Student Advocacy Day, and other high-profile special events as assigned.
Coordinates event invitations, tracks responses, and maintains list of attendees and students who would be good representatives of the college for future events.
Facilitates the production of event materials.
Organizes and manages college mascot program for on-campus events. These duties may include, but are not limited to, recruiting and interviewing students to serve as the mascot and handlers; training students; caring for the mascot costume; preparing students to perform at events; coordinating with event coordinators on how best to use the mascot at events; and overseeing program procedures.
- Associate degree or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience required
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Two years of experience in an office setting required
- Experience working in a public relations or marketing office preferred
- Financial management skills including procurement processing, budget monitoring, and account reconciliation
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must upgrade knowledge and deal with conversion challenges as the college adopts newer versions of software packages
- Ability to learn Colleague, the college's management information system, and Site Executive, the college's website content management system, to perform key functions for this position; experience with Colleague and Site Executive preferred
- Experience supervising students, interns, or part-time office workers preferred
- Ability to manage workload in fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and to prioritize multiple project assignments, requiring a high degree of accuracy and efficiency
- A self-starter who takes initiative in improving office operations
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, as well as interpersonal skills
- Possesses skill with proper business English, grammar, spelling, and typing formats; knowledge of AP style preferred
- Experience with social media and photography preferred
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
Compensation: $20.27 per hour plus excellent heath insurance, paid leave and tuition reimbursement
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Open Until Filled: Yes
Best Consideration: Date for Best Consideration - January 10, 2019
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a 7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension. Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
- Cover letter
- Completed online application
Link for application: