This civilian position performs highly-responsible executive leadership and management functions in planning, developing, directing and supervising all activities of one of the two bureaus in the Police Department, the Administrative Services Bureau, which includes human resources and recruitment; training and development; fiscal management; facilities and security management systems; property and evidence; policy, accreditation and professional standards; information and technology systems; crime analysis systems; emergency readiness and operational planning. This position is also responsible for assessing the performance of the bureau and implementing organizational changes and improvements and is responsible for financial management of a multi-million-dollar budget with complex funding requirements. Considerable discretion and independent judgment is exercised in executing job responsibilities. Tasks are performed under minimal supervision and reports to the Chief of Police. Work is reviewed through meetings, reports and evaluation of program results.
This recruitment is open until the position is filled, with the first application review date on January 21.
- Directs the activities of the Administrative Services Bureau which includes human resources and training; fiscal management; accreditation and professional standards; facility and security management; property and evidence; information and technology; and emergency readiness and operational planning;
- Implements the department's strategic plan and mission, setting operational policy and procedures, proposing actions and budget priorities;
- Monitors department's operational effectiveness and efficiency, selects program areas for inspection and analysis, conducts management studies, audits to assess operational conditions;
- Assesses the department's administrative needs and problems, and reallocates or secures resources to meet those needs. Establishes and revises management methods and procedures to improve work flow, simplify reporting procedures, reduce costs and meet professional standards and legal requirements;
- Establishes procedures, policies and standards, monitors program operations and evaluates performance, effectiveness and results of these programs. Ensures full integration and consistency of policies, procedures and approaches across the operational functions of the department;
- Reviews program data from community, state and national trends, and makes recommendations to address needs for program and budget adjustments;
- Evaluates program outcomes and directs modification to programs for quality and efficiency, and ensures the department's expenditures fall within budget priorities and expenditures are adjusted accordingly;
- Participates in development and implementation of department's strategic plan. Recommends, implements and manages organizational changes and improvements;
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with internal departments throughout the City, collaborating to achieve individual and joint goals to ensure that outcomes meet the needs of all stakeholders;
- Develops and maintains relationships with external organizations to facilitate program goals. Serves as liaison with external organizations, such as boards and committees; professional and services associations; and legal counsel;
- Consults on, reviews and approves recommendations for hiring and discipline;
- Directs the study of and modifications to systems, programs and processes to facilitate improvement of operations and services to ensure quality and efficiency;
- Participates in the development, implementation, review and amendment of department policies to ensure compliance with law, accreditation standards and city regulations;
- Formulates and recommends policy on matters having department implications, implements changes policies and procedures, presents new or revised written directives and monitors changes in state and federal law affecting department operations;
- Performs related work as required.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the theories, principles, techniques, and practices used in public administration, including thorough knowledge of leadership and management principles, knowledge and application of change management, effective practices, program development and implementation strategies and quality improvement;
- Ability to manage administrative services in local government, experience with facilities management, fiscal management and information and technology; â€¢ Management of finance systems and budgeting;
- Knowledge of technology systems;
- Comprehensive knowledge and thorough understanding of human resources principles and practices; â€¢ Ability to acquire, synthesize, interpret and apply new information obtained by research in professional standards, city rules and regulations, state codes, federal law;
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with representatives of the public and private sector;
- Ability to interpret policies and objectives;
- Ability to work with policy-making boards and councils; and
- Ability to effectively communicate. Experience in leading teams of and collaborating with other executives and interdepartmental teams is required.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, candidates must possess a Bachelor's Degree in a related field and 12 years of relevant experience, to include six (6) years in a management/leadership position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
To be considered an ideal candidate, one should also possess a master's degree in criminal justice, public administration or a related field; as well as, knowledge and experience in 21st century policing.
About the Department
The City of Alexandria Police Department is a nationally recognized and accredited law enforcement agency providing services to a diverse community. A group of talented professionals, the Alexandria Police Department is a dedicated team of people who, in partnership with the community, work to create and maintain a safe and secure environment for our residents, merchants, and visitors. We are a diverse organization, reflecting Alexandria's various cultures and offering many different career and promotional opportunities. To learn more about APD please click here.If you are curious for a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.