KITCHEN ASSISTANT (PART-TIME/TEMPORARY)
Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation is currently seeking a temporary, part-time Kitchen Assistant to work within the Office of Senior Adult Programs at the Langston-Brown Senior Center.
Specific duties include:
- Following all Health Department codes and regulations regarding preparing and serving food to include monitoring and maintaining the heating and cooling of food and ensuring meals are delivered at required temperatures;
- Assisting in special event food preparation;
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the kitchen and work area to include removing trash, refrigerator, freezer, stove, ovens and sinks;
- Supervising volunteers during the food preparation of meal items and beverages and contributing information for recording volunteer hours;
- Maintaining appropriate records for meals including number of meals served, temperatures and quality of food received;
- Providing customer service to seniors while providing information to public and participants about ongoing programs, as well as, potential new programs;
- Maintaining inventory of kitchen supplies and providing list of items needed to the Program Coordinator; and
- Monitoring the sign-in process when participants arrive and help seniors sign-in.
Minimum: High school diploma or GED certificate or equivalent plus one year's experience administering recreational programs or facility monitoring within the food industry.
Substitution: Additional education within food services may substitute for the experience on a year-by-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Providing assistance in a kitchen/food service environment;
- Working with a population of ages 55+; and/or
- Possession of a food handlers license.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
This is a part-time position is scheduled to work 20 hours per week (4 hours per day), Monday- Friday. Normal hours of employment will be 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Hours may vary on occasion depending on programming needs.
The length of this position is contingent on funding.
The selected candidate must possess a food handler's licensure or have the ability to obtain upon hire.
The official title of this position is Recreation Assistant III.
Note: This recruitment is open continuous and will close once the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Qualified applicants in this first group will be referred to the hiring manager and interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the application process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.