Arlington County's Department of Human Services (DHS) is seeking an IT professional to work within the Information Systems Bureau (ISB). The ISB provides information technology support to employees and programs throughout DHS. This position will be responsible for developing technical solutions for DHS as well as for broader components and technical design. Collaborating with the business analysis team and redesigning business processes is key for the incumbent. This position will be developing new and improving existing web based applications to enhance the Department's data management and automation capabilities; translating business needs from DHS programs into comprehensive software system requirements; and integrating system components across business units.
This position primarily supports the purchase of services in support of children and families.
Representative projects include:
- Automating the purchase of services for foster children;
- Updating state reporting for reimbursements of several million dollars annually to support services for at-risk youth and their families; and
- Creating new tools and perspectives on the DHS model for integrated services.
- Providing hands-on technical guidance and development (programming) in the .Net (C#) and SQL Server environment;
- Translating technical design into business language and documentation;
- Identifying additional software (or hardware) components needed for smooth implementations;
- Coordinating and executing implementation with vendors and the Department of Technology Services;
- Communicating with business owners throughout the duration of a project;
- Planning and coordinating design meetings among business experts, technical staff, and ISB's business analysis team;
- Confirming and revising overall system designs and identifying off-the-shelf, customized, and internally developed components; and
- Providing best practice guidance and applying quality assurance practices.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or a related field;
- Considerable (at least five years) of full-time experience that includes a combination of the following:
- System/application integration design, development, implementation, and support;
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of software development lifecycle, application design, database design, unit testing, and dependency injection;
- Business process analysis and functional and technical requirements documentation;
- Designing, developing, and testing system components and integrating them to deliver applications that support business processes;
- Collaborating with users and customer agencies throughout the project lifecycle to define project scope, prioritize and schedule work, diagnose and resolve problems, and manage stakeholder expectation.
DESIRABLES- Preference may be given to applicants with experience in one or more of the following:
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS);
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Financial systems, particularly in human/social services;
- ERP systems interfaces such as Oracle Financials; and
- Working with ETL platforms such as Pentaho or Ab Initio.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite.
If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Must complete pre-hire federal background check and State of Virginia Central Registry check.
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
This position is part of an alternative pay program that includes career path and pay-for-performance elements. Starting pay within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience. Pay potential will be based on performance and development.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.