Director of Department of Project Implementation
Director Of Department of Project Implementation
The City of Alexandria is looking for a Director to lead its Department of Project Implementation. The Director of the Department of Project Implementation (DPI) provides the overall leadership and strategic direction for the City's core infrastructure design and construction program as well as coordinating and planning complex, multi-departmental projects such as the implementation and the development of the new Potomac Yard Metrorail station and Waterfront Flood Mitigation Project. Reporting to a Deputy City Manager, the Director plays a lead role in the development and implementation of the City's $2 billion 10-year Capital Improvement Program.
- The Director is responsible for developing and implementing best practices in project management, cost estimating and project delivery;
- Leading a team of engineers in the department, supported by consultants where appropriate in the design and construction of capital projects;
- Working closely with the community and supports a collaborative and transparent project management environment;
- Implementing the use of alternative project delivery methods including Design/Build and Public Private Partnerships;
- Design and construction of large-scale capital projecting such as the Potomac Yard Metrorail station, storm water facilities improvements, and municipal fiber optic networking;
- Design and construction for a number of smaller capital projects ranging from on-street 'Complete Streets' transportation projects to drainage and pedestrian/bicycle bridges.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates should possess a bachelor's degree in civil engineering, public administration or a related field; Five years of progressively responsible engineering experience including management experience in directing and oversight of urban capital plans and projects in the public sector; and must possess or obtain within 6 months of employment, a license as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
To be considered an ideal candidate, one should also possess a master's degree in civil engineering, public administration or related field; extensive experience in complex construction in locations similar to the City of Alexandria and in proactive civic engagement; a proven track record of successful implementation of best practices in project management and experience in alternative project delivery methods.
About the Department
The Department of Project Implementation is comprised of 24 highly knowledgeable and experienced staff including 10 licensed professional engineers. The Department of Project Implementation has an annual operating budget of $3.3 million and plays a lead role in the implementation of the City's $2 billion 10-year CIP program. Many of the department's projects are complex in nature and must comply with strict regulatory requirements.