Director of Benefits
The Benefit Department of Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Director of Benefits in the Washington, DC office. The Director is responsible for the overall design and administration of all the Firm’s domestic and international benefit and insurance programs. The Director works closely with the Director of Retirement Benefits and oversees the Benefits Team. The position reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Ensuring that all pension, health and welfare benefit plans are administered in conformance with Firm policies and procedures; i.e., plan documentation, contractual arrangements, and regulatory requirements (ERISA, DOL, IRS, HIPAA, FMLA, ADEA, ADA, other federal, state and local laws, etc.)
• Analyzing and revising current policies and procedures, as necessary, to ensure efficiency, regulatory compliance and attainment of best practices with regard to benefits management and administration.
• Preparing an annual budget for the Benefits Department and monitoring/reporting monthly variances and supporting invoice payment processes.
• Ensuring that all coverage provisions are within Firm policies and procedures; plan documentation, contractual arrangements, and regulatory requirements (federal and state).
• Assisting and/or preparing RFPs, negotiating vendor contracts, drafting benefit communications and reviewing documentation, including but not limited to, proposals, contracts, plan documents, amendments, and summary plan descriptions.
• Coordinating data and documentation necessary to accomplish all tasks involved with annual benefit/insurance renewals and open enrollment.
• Reviewing all employee benefit communications, including open enrollment materials, Intranet postings, Summary Plan Descriptions, and letters to carriers/participants, ensuring that all benefits are correctly communicated.
• Responding to employee requests and inquiries. Counseling employees and partners on benefit options and plan designs. Overseeing responses to benefit inquiries.
• Coordinating annual audits for health plans and retirement plans, as needed.
• Providing technical expertise to the Management Committee and others throughout the Firm with regard to benefit issues, regulatory compliance and industry best practices.
• Participating in targeted employee benefit surveys.
• Maintaining a thorough understanding of current benefits trends and legislation and monitoring the external legal environment and assisting with amendments as necessary.
• Ensuring a high-level of client service and satisfaction are attained. Managing and maintaining ongoing relationships with outside consultants, brokers, carriers and third-party vendors.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Minimum of seven (7) years’ expertise in design, administration and management of health and welfare benefit programs and vendor management in a law firm or professional services environment.
• Knowledge of design, administration and management of 401(k), profit sharing and defined benefit retirement plans.
• Proficient in a range of computer software applications, website content management systems, email marketing systems, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Project experience in implementing new benefit plans and programs.
• Excellent business communication, writing, presentation and interpersonal skills as well as an expertise with managing others, along with client focus skills in a fast-paced environment.
• Exceptional organizational skills with strong attention to detail, follow-up and problem resolution.
• Strong aptitude towards efficiency, quality and consistency.
• Ability to work under pressure, multi-task, meet deadlines and handle sensitive matters.
• Forward thinking, flexible and able to delegate and prioritize accordingly.
• Ability to use sound judgment and be accountable.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively, as both a team member and a team leader.
• Law firm experience preferred.
Arnold & Porter is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. Our Firm's equal opportunity policy applies to all employment practices and terms and conditions, including, without limitation, recruitment, employment, assignment, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, disciplinary action and terminations. To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Arnold & Porter maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW [eeoc.gov] and the Supplement poster [eeoc.gov].
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.