Attorney - Advisor (General)
Occasional travel - possibility of one (1) to five (5) nights annually
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Law Degree AND Bar Membership
For the GS-12, you must have at least two (2) years of experience as a practicing attorney at the GS-11 level, or equivalent level of difficulty in the Federal service or private sector that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of this position.
For the GS-11 level: You must have to have one (1) of the following:
- at least 52 weeks of experience as a practicing attorney at the GS-09 level, or equivalent level of difficulty in the Federal service demonstrating outstanding written and analytical work; OR
- Held a judicial clerkship; OR
- Have an LL.M. degree that required one full year of graduate study; OR
- Have superior law student work or activities.
Law Degree: Applicants must possess a J.D. or LL.B from a law school accredited by the American Bar
Association (ABA); AND
Bar Membership: Applicants must currently be an active member in good standing of the bar in any state, territory of the United States, District of Columbia, or Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Factors such as cost effectiveness, labor market conditions and difficulties in filling the position will be reviewed in determining if payment of relocation expenses is in the best interest of the Government.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- This position is a critical sensitive - high risk position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation. Periodic reinvestigation is required no later than five years after selection and at least every succeeding five years.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated among others regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position.
Since this is an Excepted Service position, a non-rated method of evaluation will be used. We will evaluate your application by comparing your description of your work experience, level of responsibility, and accomplishments with the requirements of the position to determine whether you meet all the qualification requirements. Competitive examining rules for rating and ranking do not apply.
There is no formal rating system for applying veterans' preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Fiscal Service considers veterans' preference eligibility as a positive factor in attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veterans' preference are encouraged to include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documentation (e.g., DD Form 214 or other substantiating documents) to their submissions.
Referral: Candidates who meet all the qualification and other eligibility requirements will be referred to the selecting official for consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No