PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (OUT OF SCHOOL TIME)
Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation is currently recruiting for an Out of School Time (OST) Program Supervisor to oversee the coordination of youth programs which serve participants of elementary aged primarily 4-10. The Program Supervisor will be responsible for planning, developing and implementing all aspects of Youth Programs to include: after-school enrichment clubs, Out of School day camps, family programs and summer camps. This position requires significant interdisciplinary collaborations and teamwork within the unit, section, division and department as well as other county agencies.
Specific duties include:
- Coordinating and supervising the comprehensive youth program offerings and events to include: conducting needs assessments, goal setting, analyzing data, monitoring trends, projecting utilization of services, evaluating and developing new programs;
- Advising and administering youth programs and activities that promote the physical, creative and social development of participants;
- Collaborating with the Therapeutic Recreation office to ensure programs are structured and designed to be inclusive for the successful participation of individuals of all abilities;
- Working in partnership with the Camp Coordinator to ensure diverse offerings of OST school year camps, managing & coordinating various contractors, updating standard form agreements and providing logistical support;
- Recruiting, hiring and training qualified staff while providing leadership and supervising subordinate staff, seasonal workers, interns, student workers and volunteers, to include assigning and directing work; processing payroll actions, approving time and appraising performance;
- Leading and serving on multiple interdisciplinary teams and committees in support of services for youth (i.e. Arlington Out of School Time Council, DPR Summer Camp Committee);
- Coordinating logistics for program delivery to include: facility/park reservations, purchases, equipment inventory, transportation requests, reservations etc.;
- Tracking and maintaining budget for programs including invoicing and budget reporting;
- Researching industry trends to ensure programs remain dynamic, current and innovative; and
- Managing effective ways to market programs to include the design and distribution of flyers and other program materials.
Energetic, self-motivated, community-oriented individuals with a vision and passion for the profession of recreation and the youth population are encouraged to apply!
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Leisure, Recreational Studies or a related field plus one year of experience administering youth programs in a recreation setting.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for- year basis.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with the following experience and certification:
- Youth Recreation program design, development, implementation and evaluation;
- Hiring and supervising large seasonal, temporary or part-time staff teams;
- Developing curriculum and leading staff trainings;
- Leading interdisciplinary or matrix teams;
- Building and maintaining strong partnerships and networks to deliver on organizational goals (i.e. Community organizations, civic associations, volunteer organizations, schools etc.); and/or
- Certification in CPR, First Aid and/ or AED.
Work hours: This is a 40 hour a week position. Regular hours are generally 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Occasional work will be required during evening and weekends to offer training and support events. Employees are provided County-issued smart phones to handle occasional after-hours program and staff support. Employee must be able to travel to different program locations.
Employee must be able to multi-task and travel to different program locations.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the application process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.