Emergency Coordinator Manager I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $58,000-$65,000
Web Announcement :
University Life Emergency Planner
The George Mason University Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS)â€”within the department of Safety, Emergency, and Enterprise Risk Management along with the division of University Life, is seeking an enthusiastic and energetic individual for the position of University Life Emergency Planner. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position will work collaboratively with EHS â€“ Emergency Management to support the division of University Life in all matters related to emergency. This position will research, develop, and maintain disaster emergency plans necessary to support student activities, facilities, events, organizations, fraternity and sorority life, administrative functions, and support residence life emergency preparedness efforts. Additionally, this position will be responsible for managing continuity of operations plans; assisting in the development and execution of departmental plans, coordinating emergency exercises for all University Life units as needed, and providing training to various audiences within University Life. This position will also participate in the development, maintenance, and implementation of university-wide emergency plans and programs to ensure that University Life needs are addressed. This position will duel report to the Assistant Vice President for University Life and the Executive Director of Safety and Emergency Management.
- Bachelors degree required preferably in emergency planning, public administration, public safety, criminal justice, business management or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in an organization involved in disaster and emergency response or preparation.
- Direct experience in making immediate decisions related to life safety and property conservation; experience in coordinating comprehensive plans with multiple agencies, jurisdictions and disciplines.
- Experience designing and providing emergency exercises.
- Knowledge of all phases of emergency management including the causes, effects, and dynamics of threats, hazards and resultant emergency situations.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and guidelines, related to emergency management.
- Understanding of the practices used in preparation of an all-hazard functional emergency plan.
- Understanding of the functions of an emergency operations center.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects. Ability to use a computer fluently to include Microsoft Office software.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a cooperative team.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with faculty and staff at all levels of education.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative; prepare comprehensive oral and written reports; prepare and implement emergency response plans; apply basic computer skills; establish and maintain effective working relationships; manage complex notification systems; and train others in the use of available emergency response systems.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs, bend crawl, and kneel
- Must pass background check.
- Live within a 20-mile radius of the Fairfax campus, carry university phone, and respond to emergency events outside of regular business hours. Preferred Qualifications:
- Masters degree preferably in emergency planning, public administration, public safety, criminal justice, business management or equivalent experience.
- Certified Emergency Manager, Professional Emergency Manager (VEMA), Association of Business Continuity Professional or Certified Business Continuity Professional (CBCP) certification or equivalent.
- Significant experience in emergency management.
- Experience at an institution of higher education preferred.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09660z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and 130 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :