Educational Support Specialist III
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $52,000-$54,000; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Assistant Registrar for Scheduling and Catalog
George Mason Universitys Office of the University Registrar, one of several central units under the authority of the Office of the Provost and reporting to the Associate Provost of Academic Initiatives and Services, invites applicants for the position of Assistant Registrar for Scheduling and Catalog.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Mission: The mission of Masonâ€™s Office of the University Registrar is to serve as stewards of academic information by creating, maintaining, certifying, and protecting student course, degree, and student records.
- The integrity of academic policies and student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and state regulations.
- A competent staff that provide personalized and courteous service.
- A diverse and inclusive environment for students, staff, faculty, and alumni. Goals:
- Continuous improvement and innovation in meeting the needs and expectations of students, staff, faculty, and alumni.
- Assist students with university resources to be successful.
- Adopt creative solutions while being mindful of the user perspective.
- Leverage and implement technology that supports student success and informed decision-making.
Overview: The Assistant Registrar for Scheduling and Catalog, as a direct report to the Associate Registrar, is a member of the Registrars leadership team and is expected to be an effective manager and an active participant in improving services throughout the university. The incumbent is primarily responsible for the production of the Schedule of Classes and the University Catalog and requires a solid understanding of how to leverage information and ideas to support student needs and the institutions strategic goals. Duties are primarily performed from the Fairfax campus and include the following essential duties: Overseeing the Scheduling and Catalog team to ensure the timely processing and completion of the Schedule of Classes, room assignments, final exam scheduling, ad-hoc reservations, and the University Catalog. This includes:
- Serving as the system administrator for all Courseleaf and 25Live modules, to include preparing the systems for each scheduling and catalog production cycle and troubleshooting with the software vendor or testing system upgrades.
- Managing the creation and maintenance of the master course production calendars for each catalog and scheduling cycle and any associated documentation for dissemination in conjunction with the Associate Registrar for Catalog & Scheduling or the Academic Scheduling Manager.
- In conjunction with the Associate Registrar for Catalog & Scheduling, managing the creation of the yearly academic calendar.
- Coordinate ongoing training of users in all Courseleaf modules, including producing and maintaining training materials posted on myMason or the Office of the University Registrar website.
- Overseeing all aspects of the development and maintenance of accurate course and program data within the CourseLeaf and in Banner.
- Ensuring the curriculum approval process is monitored and information on policy and procedures are kept up to date.
- Identify and write reports to support catalog/scheduling planning and decision-making. Identifying and employing the kinds of statistics that may contribute to improved decision-making at the University.
Representing the Office of the University Registrar in the university community to ensure regular transparent communication regarding policies and procedures. This includes:
- Communicating regularly with university-wide constituents regarding scheduling and catalog/curriculum policies, receiving feedback from the community regarding current scheduling and catalog practices, and updating university constituents on any changing procedures;
- Participating in planning and implementing outreach efforts to improve communication and transparency across the university;
- Working closely with the University Registrar and Associate Registrar in developing business continuity documentation and best practices to support students, faculty, and staff in using tools that support catalog and scheduling.
Serving in a leadership role for the Scheduling and Catalog team and to the Office of the University Registrar as a whole. This includes:
- Responsibility for providing direct leadership in the four-person Scheduling and Catalog team which processes all changes related to the Schedule of Classes, final exam scheduling, ad-hoc reservation, classroom updates, University catalog publication, and course and program inventory updates.
- Running reporting for data quality and communication purposes, including but not limited to: data quality reports for IRR, classroom utilization reports.
- Providing status updates to the Associate Registrar and Registrar and collaborating with the Office of the University Registrar management team in developing and implementing policy and procedural changes.
- Reassigning and reorganizing duties to streamline processes when possible;
- Serving as back-up to the Associate Registrar for Catalog & Scheduling, to include but not limited to attending meetings as needed and serving as back-up Emergency Operations Group liaison.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university, plus demonstrated experience in a related area including management experience; or a combination of education and experience
- Experience reviewing curriculum for university policy compliance.
- Experience with academic scheduling for a large university.
- Experience managing large-scale projects/processes, e.g. academic scheduling or university catalog production.
- Significant experience managing transactional work through a complex and integrated computerized student information system, preferably Banner.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite required, including spreadsheets.
- Ability to quickly learn and use specific software packages related to fulfillment of responsibilities, e.g. CourseLeaf, Banner, etc.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, including understanding of cause/effect relationships and application thereof.
- Demonstrated self-starter. Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and customer service-based environment.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Strong verbal, written communication, and problem-solving skills. Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a wide variety of university clientele.
- Experience in at least minimal customer service settings.
- Significant experience in student academic services. Preferred Qualifications:
- Supervisory experience.
- Prior experience in a Registrars Office, preferably in a large, diverse university.
- Web-design experience, including web-publishing and editing.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants can apply for position number 02791Z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by January 9, 2018 ; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :