Come build with HBI!
We are a nonprofit located near Thomas Circle in downtown Washington, DC. We have an immediate need for an accounting manager in our national office. In this role, you will:
- Execute and manage monthly billing for contracts, certificates, and renewals including: maintaining accounts receivable subsidiary ledger; preparing ad hoc reports to monitor performance on contracts; and maintaining files of contracts and addendums.
- Prepare monthly account analysis and reconciliations for balance sheet accounts, including the preparation of journal entries.
- Record and maintain listings for new and existing projects and contracts in the general ledger.
- Prepare audit schedule for various accounts as assigned and gathers supporting documents.
- Process and maintain National Office expense reports and employee advance accounts.
- Monitor daily bank account activity including: cash flow, wire and ACH transactions, check payment research (including stale dated checks), and stop payments.
- Implement and monitor the month, quarter and year-end closeout accounting schedules.
- Manage purchase card program including monitoring payments to vendors, identifying new vendors, and monthly activity reporting.
- Prepare 1099 Forms and create IRS documents for submission.
- Monitor emerging technology to determine ways to automate the accounting process without sacrificing accuracy and accountability.
- Contribute to developing new workflows, processes and procedures to improve accuracy and efficiencies both within and outside the department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications are as follows:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or an equivalent combination of skills, training, and experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in an accounting leadership role.
- Experience with government contracts preferred.
- Experience with DELTEK Cost Point desired.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge and application of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong understanding of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts processes and procedures and how they interface with the General Ledger.
- Excellent work processing and spreadsheet skills
- Ability to provide technical advice and information to staff regarding financial information and systems.
- Superior problem solving, analytical and project management skills needed.
- Strong organizational and time management skills needed.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills required.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidential information.
HBI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state, or local law.