Associate Director, Conference Program
Position Summary: The Conference Program unit leads the planning, development, and implementation of educational and networking offerings for the NAFSA Annual Conference and Expo, which brings together more than 9,000 international and higher education professionals from around the world. Reporting to the Senior Director, the Associate Director manages and facilitates the work of a volunteer-member Annual Conference Committee (ACC) and coordinates that work with multiple NAFSA stakeholders to implement the educational and networking program at NAFSA’s annual conference.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
- Manage the planning and execution of the conference program including sessions, meetings, and other events; schedule and promote conference educational opportunities (30%)
- Together with Senior Director, serve as staff partner and resource to the ACC (30%)
- Manage the conference program technology in support of conference planning and execution efforts (20%)
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure a successful execution of the conference program (10%)
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Director and Deputy Executive Director (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least five (5) years of experience in program management or conference planning
- A track record of excellent customer relations support using a variety of communication mediums and platforms
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects and assignments while meeting competing deadlines
- Experience managing complex data with high accuracy
- Experience developing draft marketing copy for learning programs, products, and/or services.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with internal and external stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including web-based applications and presentation delivery
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products, with emphasis on Excel/spreadsheet applications
- Experience with database/association management software, as well as various web or cloud-based conferencing platforms
- Experience in volunteer engagement and/or international education
- Experience managing content and speakers for conferences or large meetings.
- Experience contributing content for mobile applications or developing training programs using online media
- Familiarity with CadmiumCD conference management software
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference or other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive, and accessible workplace to all employees. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.