Aviation Safety Inspector (Air Carrier Operations)
75% or less - The job may require up to 75% travel.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes - You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
OPM Qualifications Standard for Aviation Safety Series, FG-1825 MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- (A) Not more than two separate incidents involving Federal Aviation regulations violations in the last 5 years;
- (B) Valid State driver's license;
- (C) Fluency in the English language;
- (D) No chemical dependencies or drug abuse that could interfere with job performance; and
- (E) High school diploma or equivalent.
Aviation Safety Inspector positions have job-related medical requirements. When applicable, applicants MUST meet job-related medical requirements which will be assessed and validated during the pre-employment process.
Medical Requirements: Applicants must be physically able to perform the duties of the Aviation Safety Inspector position in a safe and efficient manner, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The minimum medical requirements include the following requirements:
- Have good distant vision in each eye and be able to read, without strain, printed materials the size of typewritten characters (glasses and contact lenses permitted);
- Have the ability to hear the conversational voice (hearing aid permitted); and
- Not have any physical condition that would cause them to be a hazard to themselves or others that would interfere with their ability to fly as passengers in a variety of aircraft.
In addition, applicants for positions that require participation in the operation of the aircraft must:
- Possess a valid second – class medical certificate in accordance with FAA regulations; and
- Pass recurrent medical examinations as prescribed by the FAA.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To qualify for this position you must demonstrate in your application that you possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. Applicants should include examples of specialized experience in their work history. In addition, applicants MUST meet all of the following:
- (A) At least 1 year of pilot experience in multi-engine aircraft of more than 12,500 pounds maximum certificated takeoff weight;
- (B) Not more than 2 flying accidents during the last 5 years in which the applicant's pilot error was involved;
- (C) Professional flying skill as demonstrated in a simulator check to Airline Transport Pilot Standard;
- (D) Minimum 100 flight hours during the last 3 years;
- (E) Airline Transport Pilot Certificate or Commercial Pilot Certificate with instrument airplane rating; and
- (F) Minimum 1,500 total flight hours.
Specialized experience at the FG-12 grade level involves a wide range of assignments or a few highly complex assignments, requiring planning and organization, setting priorities and working without clear or specific guidelines. Work at this level is typically reviewed only to assess the impact on overall organizational objectives.
Specialized experience at the FG-11 grade level involves a broad scope of responsibility, more variety, and less clear guidelines. Work at this level is typically subject to review to assure compliance with organized policies or regulations, and specific guidelines to ensure compliance with organizational policies or regulations.
Specialized experience at the FG-9 grade level involves assignments involving familiar aircraft, facilities, and equipment. Work at this level is typically subject to review and specific guidelines to ensure compliance with instructions.
A positive education experience is not required for this position.Preview Job Questionnaire Make sure your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications and answers to the job questionnaire.
We may use this vacancy to fill other similar vacant positions.
Position may be subject to a background investigation.
A one-year probationary period may be required.
The person selected for this position may be required to file a financial disclosure statement within 30 days of entry on duty. FAA policy limits certain outside employment and financial investments in aviation-related companies.
This position is covered by the Department of Transportation's Drug and Alcohol Testing Program. Any applicant tentatively selected for this position will be subject to pre-employment or pre-appointment drug screening. Persons occupying a "testing designated position (TDP)" will be subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing.
Applications will be rated and referred on an as needed basis.
The Flight Standards Service utilizes a National Centralized Hiring Process, for standardized interviewing, screening, and verification of qualifications and experience of Aviation Safety Inspector applicants.
Applicants will be required to appear in person for an interview and/or other assessments to determine whether they possess the necessary qualifications, competencies and personal qualities to successfully perform Aviation Safety Inspector duties. Applicants will be questioned about information on their application and will be required to show appropriate airman certificates, ratings, and pilot logbooks or other appropriate records of flight time to substantiate that the applicant meets the requirements of this announcement.
Interviews are conducted at the following location:
Denver, CO-Air Carrier Operations
In extenuating circumstances, other interview locations and/or methods may be approved on a case-by-case basis in accordance with the Flight Standards Service National Centralized Hiring Process
This is a bargaining unit position.
Links to Important Information: Locality Pay , COLA
Qualified applicants are limited to being referred on a maximum of 10 open referral lists at one time. Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT: Applicants may be rated on the extent and quality of experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position(s). All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated. Ensure that your application package/resume supports your responses.