Administrative and Office Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Graduate Program Specialist, Department of Computer Science
The George Mason University Department of Computer Science, in the Volgenau School of Engineering, is seeking a well-qualified individual to serve as Undergraduate Academic Advisor. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Graduate MS Academic Advisor: This position includes the individual advising of current graduate students and prospective graduate students on a walk-in basis. Additional responsibilities include:
- Performs administrative tasks related to studentsâ€™ progression in their computer science degree programs, educate students about university policies, and follow administrative procedures related to applications for course transfers, substitutions and waivers, and graduation.
- Provides advising assistance to current students on course selection, prerequisites, transfer credits, graduation and general University information. Administrative Support:
- Responds to general phone, e-mail and in-person questions of prospective and admitted students and their families and directs and distributes inquiries to appropriate faculty and staff;
- Provides general office clerical support as needed. Event Coordination:
- Coordination of distinguished lecture series, and faculty candidate seminars, including, but not limited to arranging location, ordering catering, marketing, advertising, and disseminating post event information. Purchasing:
- Provide purchasing assistance to CS faculty to include use of the Departmental P-card and the Commonwealth of Virginiaâ€™s procurement system (eVA).
- Experience in front of office or customer service environment;
- Strong interpersonal, time-management, coordination, planning and organizational skills;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, e-mail and Internet;
- Demonstrated ability to utilize and learn computer programs/applications;
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse populations;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Preferred Qualifications:
- Four-year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Preference will be given to candidates with previous academic advising and event planning experience;
- Experience working in higher education.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu for position 00487z and attach a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2019-01-08