Product Design Manager
Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history.
The Washington Post is seeking a forward-thinking leader to join its Product Design team. This team of UX, UI and visual designers is focused on developing design strategy and visual approaches for The Post's suite of digital products, including washingtonpost.com, our native iOS and Android apps, internal tools and our paywall and account management experiences.
In this role, you will help lead a team of more than a dozen designers. You'll help the team grow by coaching designers, managing assignments, improving the quality of our work and strengthening and streamlining our process. You'll collaborate with product managers and internal stakeholders across multiple teams to identify, ideate on and propose new approaches to our user experience.
The ideal candidate is a user-centered design expert who understands people - who they are, what motivates them, and how they interact with content.
This ideal candidate for this role:
- Wants to manage a team of designers with diverse skillsets, provide feedback on their work and support their career goals by developing their technical and communication skills
- Has the ability to bring out the best in a team through coaching, culture, and communication
- Loves to collaborate closely with colleagues in research, product management and engineering
- Constantly looks for ways to improve the way our products look AND work
- Is focused on driving results and long-term success
- Enjoys keeping projects on track and on schedule, and is proactive in driving work forward
- Is organized, driven and excited about designing the news products of the future
- Can clearly and passionately articulate the thinking behind a design and build up that skillset in the team
- Advocates for the best user experience possible through developing a deep understanding of the wants and needs of our users
- Is energized by problem-solving and loves to develop solutions for difficult problems
- A portfolio that shows a diverse body of work including outstanding visual designs
- 5+ years of experience managing people and projects in a fast-paced environment
- 8+ years of experience in user experience design, interaction design, and visual design
- Extensive experience developing interactive applications, preferably editorial or e-commerce
- Deep knowledge of research techniques including competitive analysis, user interviews, persona creation and journey mapping
- Experience in executing and facilitating concept ideation, wireframing, design iterations, and successful product launches across multiple platforms
- An established track record of producing business results through design
- Experience designing mobile applications for iOS and Android
- Advanced knowledge of tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Invision and other relevant software
- The ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines while staying organized and detail oriented
- A collaborative spirit and a proven ability to work well with others, building strong partnerships across teams
- Strong presentation and writing skills
- Experience with or strong interest in digital media and news