Information Technology Specialist II
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
The George Mason University College of Science invites applications for a Web Specialist. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: As part of its Marketing and Communications team, the Web Specialist supports the college in planning and execution of website and digital marketing efforts and content for key audiences including prospective and current students, alumni, research, and advisory boards. Under general direction, the Web Specialist participates in the detailed design, construction, implementation, and support of web projects that meet established specifications, design criteria, and quality standards for special College of Science web projects.
This position exists primarily to facilitate web design and programming in order to increase the Collegeâ€™s presence on the Web. Skills are required to develop web sites, templates, and applications for special university web projects, including analytic reports on web site usage. The Web Specialist also works with internal clients and partners (departments and programs, University Career Services, and COS development and academic and student affairs teams) in shaping, developing, and placing content packages on multiple channels. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Create and update website content (long and short form) as appropriate to audience and channel: digital, social, print, and new/emerging, including the College website project currently underway.
- Assists in executing and evaluating the college editorial calendar and overarching content strategy for the College of Science across web platforms and other digital media.
- Leads the creation, maintenance, and updating of COS web governance and workflow.
- Works with communications team to collect and analyze web, digital and social metrics to champion a strong user experience across all digital platforms.
- Assist in the development and execution of the training on digital platforms, web writing, analytics and other digital skills as well as the content creation management tool and the mass email / newsletter management tool
- Serves as the primary vendor interface and project manager for any website updates, or website related technical troubleshooting issues. Required Qualifications:
- A bachelorâ€™s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience working in an office environment;
- Strong understanding of web design concepts â€“ usability, page layout and navigational structures;
- Ability to contribute to and maintain a consistent and strong design aesthetic;
- Hands on experience creating, optimizing, and migrating web content, page graphics and layouts;
- Familiar with HTML, XML, Javacript, CSS programming, Wordpress and Drupal (converting v6 or v7 to v8 preferred);
- Familiarity with current web site design applications, basis PHP programming and Basic MySQL programming and open source system solutions;
- Flexibility to adapt to change and willing to learn and develop new skill sets as applicable;
- Strong time management, project and professional organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop cohesive working relationships with internal and external clients including COS Deanâ€™s office, departments and centers and across Masonâ€™s web system, also people with and without a strong web based technical background; and
- Ability to process suggestions, corrections, and feedback professionally.
- Experience with Mason web hosting capabilities and site migration procedures and protocol;
- Experience with Search Engine Optimization and Google Analytics tagging and reporting;
- Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze web, digital and social metrics;
- Ability to utilize social media to bolster web presence; and
- Experience with WRIKE project management system, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
About Us: The College of Science has approximately 400 employees and has the second largest student enrollment at the university. With a wide variety of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, COS is also the largest research unit in the universityâ€”constituting approximately one-third of the total research portfolio, and having generated approximately one-third of the universityâ€™s research proposals in FY18. Our mission is to produce science that enhances society and COS undertakes pioneering research endeavors that are integrated with academic programs to offer insight and solutions to the complex issues that challenge todayâ€™s world.
The College of Science Marketing and Communications team fosters a culture of collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement. We are collectively committed to create and share engaging stories which highlight the collegeâ€™s excellence in academics, our leading research programs and the achievements, events and outreach of our Mason Science community. For more information, visit us on the web at https://cos.gmu.edu/.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :