Opening Manager (Park/Recreation Assistant)
Located at Providence Recreation Center, assists in the overall operation of a recreation center by acting as duty manager for the facility's opening shift. Responsible for all aspects of operation during the assigned shift. Supervises and directs staff. Ensures implementation of center program and activity schedule to include the early morning swim rentals. Ensures compliance with all applicable codes, procedures and standards. Interacts with and resolves customer issues. Completes all duties to open the facility to ensure the facility meets all safety, health, fire, and cleanliness standards. Inspects facilities to ensure standards are met; including natatorium compliance in the absence of the aquatic supervisor. Supervises "on duty" subordinate staff. Ensures that all staff members are completing both assigned and routine duties. Initiates and maintains customer contacts to receive feedback, evaluate service performance and strengthen customer service. Coordinates and implements staff training and development to assure job competency through operational service knowledge, technical skills, and customer service skills. Supervises the custodial maintenance/safety program. Appointee may be required to work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
Note: The salary for the appointee will not exceed the midpoint of the advertised salary range.
- Assists in the administration of the facility operations such as conducting inventory, preparing administrative and financial reports, and assisting in the preparation of the annual operating budget;
- Assists in the ordering and receiving of supplies;
- Assists with the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision, scheduling, and evaluation of staff and volunteers;
- Adheres to revenue and expense limits;
- Ensures staff compliance with operating procedures and safety/security standards;
- Informs the public of pertinent rules and regulations;
- Directs residents to private and public resources and programs;
- Assists in the development and implementation of community outreach plans to target underserved populations and to increase overall program participation;
- Delivers customer service by distributing literature and providing information;
- Assists as a liaison between County agencies and residents.
- Assists with providing operational support by supervising the maintenance of assigned facilities.
- Assists with providing Parks/Recreation programming support by developing and coordinating several specialized programs and special events;
- Maintains records necessary to the operation and evaluation of programs.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of recreation center and/or park management;
- Knowledge of fiscal record keeping and inventory procedures;
- Ability to use a personal computer, applicable software, and peripheral equipment;
- Ability to direct and coordinate the work of subordinate staff and volunteers;
- Ability to prepare a variety of administrative reports;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with staff, citizen groups, and the public;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: graduation from high school or a GED issued by a state department of education, plus two years of related experience in a recreation center, recreational park, or golf course operation or two years experience organizing and coordinating public recreation activities or community affairs, as applicable to the position.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- First Aid certification with in 90 days of appointment;
- CPR certification within 90 days of appointment;
- Food Handler certification for Virginia within 90 days of appointment;
- Fairfax County Pool Operators License within 90 days of appointment;
- Valid motor vehicle license.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background investigation, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, and a driver's license check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- College-level course work in recreation, public administration, leisure services or a closely related field.
- Two years experience in municipal recreation that include; supervision of customer service staff; facility operations; safety and custodial maintenance.
- Experience using the ParkNet system.
- Certified Park and Recreational Professional (CPRP).
- Approved pool operator's license.
- Experience using FOCUS, Recreation POS software and Microsoft Office software.
- CPR and First Aid certification.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds occasionally and up to 75 pounds with assistance. Duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.