Financial Specialist III
Plans and directs daily activities of a team of professionals responsible for the functional areas of fund management, budget preparation and monitoring, grant management, audit activities, and financial analysis and reporting. Acts as the fund manager for assigned funds that may include federal programs such as Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) and/or local programs. Oversees all of the financial activities associated with assigned funds, and performs complex financial analysis of these and several other housing programs, which could include the agency's local rental program. Monitors and reports on assigned county HCD/FCRHA funds according to General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), government accounting standards boards (GASB) and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) standards. Provides financial data and analysis for the development of the agency's annual Moving To Work (MTW) Plan, as well as the monitoring and reporting of MTW activities and outcomes. Develops detailed financial reports and analysis, including projections and financial scenarios addressing all funding complexities, to assist program managers and agency leadership in measuring progress against MTW and agency goals and ensuring alignment with the agency's MTW plan, the strategic plan, the Fairfax County Rental Program and Third Party managed properties, and other objectives. Prepares annual budget, 3rd quarter review, carryover review and special budget exercises of assigned funds. Prepares, reviews and finalize fund financial statements and appropriate backup and documentation for annual, bi-annual, and internal audit processes.
Note: The salary offered for this position will not exceed the mid-point of the class.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check and a driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Active CPA license with 10 years of professional level experience in the field of accounting/finance.
- Preferred candidate will have progressive financial experience with a solid budget and financial management background, with knowledge of governmental accounting, and financial statement preparation and financial and program analysis.
- Proven ability to develop and perform complex financial reports and analysis, including detailed projections and financial scenarios addressing all funding complexities using available tracking systems.
- Highly proficient at systems, producing customized reports, and data manipulation to create management reports.
- Outstanding customer service skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrates initiative to research, understand, and resolve complex issues.
- Ability to plan and implement activities in order to ensure effective and efficient utilization of resources.
- Ability to form collaborative partnerships across intra-departmental divisions and with external stakeholders to work towards a common goal.
- Committed to development of staff.
- Strong written, oral communication and analytic skills are critical.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Outlook. team leadership skills and experience in working with the public, is preferred.
Job is generally sedentary in nature, however, job entails walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching and bending; uses hands to grasp, handle, or feel. Visual acuity is required to read data on a computer monitor; ability to drive a vehicle. Incumbent must be able to operate keyboard driven equipment and computer. Ability to communicate with others verbally and in writing. Employee may be required to lift up to 15 pounds (all duties). Duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.