Deputy Chief of Mission
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation to Geneva will be reimbursed in accordance with policy.
Qualification Requirements: You must submit a separate narrative statement that addresses each of the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) related to this position as well as the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) related to all positions in the Senior Executive Service.
Your narrative statements should include examples of experience, education, and accomplishments applicable to the qualification. Structure your statements in terms of the action taken, the context or environment in which the action was taken, and the outcome or results from such actions. You should write each statement with the vacancy in mind as all qualifications are directly related to the position being filled.
If you do not submit a separate statement addressing the ECQs and MTQs, you will not receive consideration for the position.
MANDATORY EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs): All new entrants into the SES under a career appointment will be assessed for executive competency against the following five mandatory executive core qualifications.
Please limit your narrative statements to 10 pages (one and a half pages per factor). Each ECQ should contain at least two examples describing your experiences and accomplishments/results.
For further information and tips on writing effective narrative statements, see OPM's publication 'A Guide to SES Qualifications available on the OPM website at: http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf.
The following Fundamental Competencies are cross-cutting and should be addressed over the course of your ECQ narrative. It is not necessary to address them directly as long as the narrative, in its totality, shows mastery of the competencies on the whole. The competencies are: Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communications; Continual Learning; Written Communication; Integrity/Honesty; and Public Service Motivation.
- Leading Change - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Leading People - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Results Driven - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organization goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- Business Acumen - This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- Building Coalitions/Communications - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (MTQs): All applicants must submit written statements (narrative or bullet format acceptable) of accomplishments that would satisfy the technical qualifications. You must address each technical qualification separately. You are required to respond to all technical qualifications. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application and you will be rated as 'ineligible.'
- Expert knowledge and professional competence in international trade policy matters including sound technical knowledge of U.S. and foreign trade policy questions before the WTO and other international organizations.
- Sound technical knowledge of trade policy development processes, both in Washington, D.C. (through direct experience with the interagency trade policy coordination process) and in the governments of other major players in the international trading system. Ability to deal with trade policy problems, often on a quick-time emergency basis in varied national and international settings.
- Ability to deal effectively with complex and sensitive trade issues in multilateral and bilateral trade negotiations.
- Knowledge of and experience in the operations of international organizations specifically including knowledge of budgetary and management processes of these organizations as well as their personnel practices.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy Statement: http://www.eeoc.gov/federal/index.cfm
Employment Information Resources - Resource Center: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Main_Page
Males born after 12-31-1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx)
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternative Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Office of Administration's Human Resources Management Division will review all applications to determine if applicants meet the mandatory professional/technical qualifications of this position and the SES ECQs. Those who meet the qualifications will be referred to a panel of SES members for rating and ranking to determine the "best qualified" candidates. The panel may conduct interviews with the top candidates and then make a recommendation to the selecting official about the top candidates that he/she should interview.
Once a selection is made, the selectee's application will be forwarded to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for approval by an OPM independent Qualifications Review Board, unless the selectee is a current SES executive or has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.