YOUTH SERVICES SECTION LEADER
Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation is seeking a Youth Services Section Leader to be a member of the Community Recreation Division's (CRD) Leadership Team. This position will oversee the development, delivery and evaluation of comprehensive recreation programs and services for preschool-aged, elementary-aged and teenage youth. The position will serve as the County's technical resource for all youth, family and countywide recreational programming-related issues and/or concerns and is responsible for assessing community needs and developing Section goals and objectives. Additionally, this position oversees the strategic direction of and facilitates the continuum of recreation programming for youth, families and community members. This function helps to ensure that as children mature, there are ample recreation opportunities available for the next stage of their development, and allows families and community members to become involved in non-sports recreation activities with their children or by themselves.
Specific duties include:
- Managing communications with internal and external customers, both orally and in writing in accordance with the County's customer service (C.A.R.E.S.) standards;
- Resolving conflicts, complaints and difficult issues among staff and community groups with divergent perspectives;
- Preparing reports for management and the County Board;
- Assessing and managing the performance of direct reports;
- Developing productive working relationships and partnerships within and across County departments and work groups and external partners and cooperating with the County Board/School Board workgroup charged with researching and recommending a new model of collaboration for out-of-school programming with school, recreation and non-profit providers;
- Acting as a liaison and developing leadership within community groups and civic associations;
- Conducting reviews and site visits during program operations to ensure programs meet all performance standards, and resolving operational and performance issues with mid-course corrections
- Conducting systematic evaluations, strategic planning, business process improvement, systems thinking and performance management and developing viable solutions and recommendations;
- Demonstrating good stewardship of County resources and complying with all County fiscal policies and procedures including management of a Section budget of nearly $3 million;
- Planning deliberate integration of systems, strategies and approaches between the Youth Services Section and other teams; and
- Keeping abreast of recreation initiatives and trends and designing innovative approaches to recreational programming while understanding and adhering to all County policies, procedures and standards.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Recreation Administration, Recreation Management, Recreation or a related field plus three years of progressively responsible experience in recreation administration, recreation programming or a related field, including considerable experience coordinating the work of others and performing liaison activities with diverse populations.
Substitution: Additional directly related qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of County Government procedures;
- Knowledge of Early Childhood state and local regulations; and/or
- Experience with youth development
This is a 40 hour/week year-round position and work hours are generally during normal business hours between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Employee may be required to work some evening and weekend hours, and will be flexible depending on programmatic needs. Employee will be flexible enough to be available via phone during program hours on nights and weekends for staff and customers.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, and maintain throughout the course of employment a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Provide negative TB results or submit to a TB screening.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will be rejected.