CHILD CARE SPECIALIST (BILINGUAL, ENGLISH/SPANISH)
6 days left
- Full Time
Arlington County's Department of Human Services (DHS), an agency that is committed to delivering client services in an effective, equitable, respectful, and informative manner, has a vacancy in the Child Care Office of the Child & Family Services Division for a bilingual Child Care Specialist. This Child Care Specialist will be responsible for ensuring that child care facilities and programs located within the County meet licensing requirements and will spend approximately 65% of the time traveling within Arlington to perform on-site visits and investigations. This employee must have the ability to communicate in Spanish, both orally and in writing, as he/she will interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population.
Specific duties include:
- Enforcing County and State child care regulations at private homes and in public and private early childhood programs, including child care centers and other institutions;
- Using investigative measures to determine the validity of child care complaints of both family child care providers and child care centers;
- Developing written corrective plans which identify any violation(s) and following up with providers to ensure compliance;
- Making referrals to appropriate agencies such as Child Protective Service;
- Providing technical assistance and training to child care providers;
- Liaising with professionals from agencies and organizations connected to the early childhood education and child care population;
- Promoting public awareness of parent/daycare provider responsibilities through orientations which provide information and give assistance to those applying for childcare licensing; and
- Collaborating with divisional contract specialists to initiate new and to renew contracts.
Minimum: Bilingual speaking and writing ability in English/Spanish; A Bachelor's degree in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Child Psychology, or a closely related field, plus two years of experience in child care administration involving one or more of the following areas: administering or enforcing child care regulations; managing a child care facility or school; managing a licensed private child care business; and/or implementing government-sponsored early childhood education programs.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Licensing child care services;
- Conducting and/or coordinating technical assistance and/or training for child care providers; and/or
- Providing guidance and counseling on child care issues to the general public and/or to social services clients.
An assessment of oral Spanish proficiency will be required before a candidate can be appointed to the bilingual position(s). The incumbent in the position will receive the language pay premium on all hours worked and on paid leave hours.
Applicant must possess (or obtain by time of appointment) a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain (or the applicant must provide) a copy of the applicant's official state or district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-hire background check will be made on candidates selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. Candidates may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain background information.
Completion of the Commonwealth of Virginia Statement of Economic Interest form will be required of the successful candidate upon hire and annually thereafter.
Work Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required for training sessions with child care providers and staff.
Arlington County offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package including a Defined Benefit (pension) plan. For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits, click here.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.